Men's Soccer Draws with Butler 0-0

Playing in their second double overtime game of the season, the Hoosiers couldn't find the back of the net despite a season-high 22 shot attempts. Read on for more on the scoreless, double-overtime draw with the Bulldogs.

For just the second time this season, the Indiana men’s soccer team took an opponent to overtime.

The result would be similar, as No. 14 IU played to a 0-0 tie with Butler after double overtime Wednesday night at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

“It was just kind of a scrap the whole night for us,” freshman defender Grant Lillard said. “Especially the second half and overtime. We were just right there the whole time, we just couldn’t put one in.”

Wednesday’s match was the second double OT match in six games for the Hoosiers, while the Bulldogs played their fourth in seven. Including its result against IU, Butler has tied in three of its four double overtime games.

In the first overtime period, the Hoosiers had their best chance of the match to score and avoid another double overtime game.

Redshirt sophomore defender Derek Creviston, on the receiving end of senior defender Patrick Doody’s corner kick, took a shot from point-blank range that was knocked away by Butler senior goalkeeper Andy Holte.

After a shot by junior forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen, the ball landed at the feet of Lillard who sent the ball over the crossbar.

“It just means that I’ve got to work harder in practice,” Lillard said of his missed chances. “(I) just have to prepare myself for the next game.”

Lillard’s shot was one of 22 taken by the Hoosiers, marking the second consecutive match in which the Hoosiers recorded at least 20 shots but failed to score.

But sophomore midfielder Tanner Thompson said the goals will come.

”It’s frustrating, it’s definitely frustrating,” he said. “But in practice, we’re hitting them. Right now, they’re just not falling in the came but I think they’ll come.

Of the 22 shots taken by the Hoosiers, only five were on goal as the Hoosiers struggled throughout the first half and early in the second half getting past the final third.

Yeagley said the attacking got better as the game went on, but still acknowledged that there were areas that needed improvement.

“Some of our ideas, some of our passing needs to be cleaner,” he said. “A lot it starts with our outside backs, making sure they have good entry balls that start the attack. So it’s a combination of a lot of things.

One of the players who contributed to those shots on goal was redshirt senior midfielder Jamie Vollmer, who played one year for Butler before transferring to IU. Vollmer had one shot on goal and a team-high six shot attempts overall.

”I think he had extra motivation for this match,” Yeagley said. “Playing against that he first went to, and he had the captain band on with (senior defender Patrick) Doody. So a lot of emotions in it for him, and he came out and played pretty darn well.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Colin Webb was another Hoosier who performed well, as he recorded his fourth shutout of the season.

”He managed the game really,” Yeagley said. “I think that was the best compliment you could give Colin. He always had to be edgy and ready.”

The beginning of a new shutout streak was one of many positives players took away from the game despite it ending in a scoreless tie.

”We were all so close tonight,” Lillard said. “We have way too much talent not to score goals, and we’re not worried about that because we know the goals will come.” Top Stories