Men's soccer ties with Wisconsin 2-2

Wisconsin entered the match winless, which on paper looked like an easy road victory an three points for No. 2 Indiana. But Saturday's game was far from that, as the Hoosiers played to a 2-2 double-overtime draw with the Badgers. Read on for a full recap.

With its second-to-last game of the season, No. 2 Indiana had a chance to improve its position in the Big Ten standings with a victory and three points.

But one point is all the Hoosiers were left with after a 2-2 double-overtime draw with Wisconsin Saturday at McClimon Soccer Complex in Madison, Wis.

”Tough 2-2 draw tonight with Wisconsin,” IU head coach Todd Yeagley said. “I thought they had an outstanding game. They’re much better than their record, and we saw that tonight. We knew we’d have a tough test.”

The Badgers (3-10-3, 0-6-1 Big Ten) entered Saturday’s match winless in Big Ten play. It looked like that would change late in the first half.

Wisconsin junior defender Drew Conner was awarded a penalty kick in the 37th minute and converted, putting the Badgers ahead 1-0.

IU redshirt sophomore defender Derek Creviston was injured on the play and had to be taken out of the match. Redshirt senior defender Kerel Bradford took his place.

Despite losing Creviston, the Hoosiers (11-2-4, 3-2-2 Big Ten) responded quickly. Senior defender Patrick Doody sent the ball into the box with nine seconds left in the first half and found junior midfielder Matt Foldesy, who headed the ball past Wisconsin sophomore goalkeeper Casey Beyers to tie the match at one.

IU took the lead in the 64th minute after sophomore midfielder Tanner Thompson sent the ball to the far post past Beyers for his fifth goal of the season and a 2-1 lead. Wisconsin rallied eight minutes later, when senior midfielder Jake Brindle redirected a pass from teammate Adam Lauko to tie the match 2-2.

Neither team found the back of the net in the two additional 10-minute overtime periods.

Yeagley attributed the team’s struggles throughout the match to tired legs.

”I thought our guys came out a bit flat, and I think the legs now have caught up,” he said. “This has been a tough stretch on the road, a lot of games in a short amount of time. When we have some of our fittest starting to struggle a little bit, I think that had a lot to do with our lack of sharpness and also just our spacing and our anticipation and second-ball ball winning tonight.”

The Hoosiers finished with an 18-11 shot advantage, including a 4-1 advantage in the second overtime. Sophomore goalkeeper Colin Webb finished with two saves, while Beyers finished with four.

Despite the draw, the Hoosiers finished the regular season undefeated on the road.

”This team is undefeated on the road this year for the regular season, which we’re very proud of,” Yeagley said. “We’ll get these guys physically ready for a really tough match Wednesday as we gear up for our last regular season match.” Top Stories