Men's Soccer falls to Michigan State 3-2

On its Senior Night, the No.2 Indiana men's soccer team had an opportunity to improve its standing in the Big Ten. But No. 21 Michigan State had other ideas. Read on for a recap of the Hoosiers' final regular season game.

Senior defender Patrick Doody walked out of the locker room with a blank look on his face. Hoping to get a win on Senior Night, his final regular season game as a Hoosier, Wednesday night’s loss clearly wasn’t the result he wanted.

”It’s very disappointing,” Doody said. “It leaves a bad taste in our mouth.”

No. 2 Indiana fell to No. 21 Michigan State 3-2 Wednesday night at Bill Armstrong Stadium in the final game of the regular season for both teams.

”It’s tough,” IU head coach Todd Yeagley said. “I thought we had momentum in each of those moments we found that goal. But (it’s) tough to win a game when you give up three (goals). It’s a lot of pressure on the attack to find three.”

The Spartans put the pressure on first, as freshman midfielder Ken Krolicki scored from 25 yards out to put them ahead 1-0 in the 30th minute.

That lead held until the 48th minute, when IU junior forward Andrew Oliver’s shot bounced off the far post and into the net to tie the match at one.

But Krolicki would respond for Michigan State, scoring from just outside the box to give the Spartans a 2-1 lead in the 55th minute.

Michigan State’s own goal off an IU corner kick in the 80th minute tied the match at two. The Hoosiers were feeling confident at that point.

”I thought we were going to win,” Doody said. “I think there was 10 minutes left, I said, ‘let’s keep going.’ I thought we were going to put one more in, if not two more.”

It was the Spartans who would put one more in the net, as senior forward Adam Montague’s far-post header off a cross from junior midfielder Jay Chapman in the 83rd minute put Michigan State (10-4-4, 4-2-2 Big Ten) ahead for good.

IU (11-3-4, 3-3-2 Big Ten) nearly had another tying goal when junior midfielder Matt Foldesy connected on a long throw-in from redshirt senior midfielder Jamie Vollmer in the 85th minute. But Foldesy’s header went wide-right into the outside of the net.

Hoosiers sophomore midfielder Tanner Thompson thought Foldesy had scored the team’s equalizer.

”I was already getting ready to celebrate on that one,” Thompson said. “I thought for sure that one was going in. That kind of summed up the night, though. That final touch just wasn’t there, so it’s unfortunate.”

Despite struggling with the final touch, IU still managed to finish with a 20-13 shot advantage over Michigan State. However, only five of the Hoosiers’ shots were on goal compared to seven for the Spartans.

On an individual level, Thompson accounted for five of IU’s shots and also had an assist off of Oliver’s goal.

”I tried to find the ball behind the defensive mids in the pocket, and tonight I was able to find it a few times,” Thompson said. “Unfortunately, though, a couple of passes in the final third were off and couple of the shots coming in got blocked or went wide.”

Despite those struggles, Yeagley said he wasn’t disappointed in his players’ effort and the way they fought.

”We were just a little bit off on our final passes, and we kept a pretty darn good team at bay,” Yeagley said. “Deflection goal, great goal, nice play in the third, sometimes teams score good goals and you don’t necessarily say that’s poor defending or not well done by us, but just a nice play. Credit to them, they made a couple nice plays and that was the difference.” Top Stories