Indiana's list of 2012 offers continues to grow. Or, at least become a little clearer.
Back in September, we first reported that Indiana had offered a scholarship to Peter Jurkin, a 7'0", 220-pounder from the Sudan. A product of Mark Adams' A-Hope Foundation, Jurkin is currently prepping at United Faith Christian (N.C.), and he stars on Adams' Team Indiana Elite squad that is among the country's best 2012 AAU teams.
What we didn't know at the time, though, was that Indiana also offered Jurkin's AAU and high school teammate Hanner Perea at the same time. While Jurkin is a true center prospect at the next level, Perea is a 6'8", 190-pound small forward with tremendous athleticism who can be a sight to see in the open floor. Both participated in one of Indiana's Elite Camps in September, and both came away with scholarship offers from IU Coach Tom Crean.
While the Hoosiers are in very early on both prospects, they aren't the only ones. Tennessee, Missouri, Alabama, South Carolina and Baylor have all offered scholarships to both players.
Indiana Elite One's Class of 2012 roster appears to be finalized for the upcoming summer. A Class of 2011 squad a season ago, Coach Bob Pryor has instead opted to assemble a sophomore team for the upcoming summer.
Pryor's 10-player team is especially loaded in the backcourt. A quick look at some of the team's headliners:
- Ron Patterson, Broad Ripple – The 6'3" wing was offered by Indiana as a freshman, and has since added a handful of other prominent offers from Tennessee as well as a handful of Big Ten programs. A big-time athlete, Patterson is averaging around 15.0 points per game this season for Broad Ripple (10-4) and recently connected on a last second 3-pointer to earn his team a win in the City Tournament championship game.
- Jeremy Hollowell, Lawrence Central – Hollowell is a long, athletic shooting guard who just about everyone agrees has a huge upside. The 6'8" sophomore has seen his Lawrence Central team struggle to a 3-7 start to the season, but there's little doubt there will once again be plenty of recruiting attention on Hollowell this summer during the AAU season. His inside-outside capabilities make him an intriguing recruit to keep an eye on.
- Kellen Dunham, Pendleton Heights – This 6'4" sophomore has really elevated himself in the 2012 class with a breakout season. Dunham is among the Indianapolis area's leading scorers at 21.6/game. He can score from behind the arc or off the dribble and he's also a near-90 percent free-throw shooter. He's yet to receive his first scholarship offer, but should see that change once coaches have a chance to see him play this summer.
- Kellon Thomas, Southport – With a slew of high-scoring wings to work with, Thomas figures to be running the show as the team's point guard. The 5'10" Thomas is an adept ball distributor who can find teammates in transition or by breaking down a defense off the dribble. He's also physical (and daring) enough to attack the basket as well. Southport has struggled to a terribly disappointing 1-10 start to its season, but Thomas has still put up solid numbers (16 ppg, 5 apg, 55% FG shooting) as a sophomore.
- Jared Drew, Lawrence Central – A teammate of Hollowell's at LC, Drew also started to get some name recognition last summer with his play with Coach Chris Hawkins' Indy Stars squad. He's flown a little under the radar during the high school season because of Lawrence Central's struggles, but he's another athletic 6'3" type that will get some recruiting attention this spring and summer.
- Nick Hutcheson, Greencastle – This 6'7" forward figures to be Indiana Elite One's top low-post scoring threat. A starter at the prep level even as a freshman, Hutcheson is averaging around 18 points and 12 rebounds this season for a Greencastle team that is 4-7 this season. This summer figures to give Hutcheson an opportunity to show whether he's a high-major recruit as opposed to a mid-major possibility.
Others on the team include: Fishers' 6'9" forward Tyler Alderman; Broad Ripple's 6'0" point guard Aaron Payne; Brebeuf's 6'1" point guard Mike Lenz; and Noblesville's 6'7" forward Daniel Purvlicis.
Perea Has IU Offer, IE One Team Takes Shape
Peegs.com Top Stories
Hoosier Newsstand, June 24Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other sports in today's edition of the Hoosier Newsstand.
Damezi Anderson talks IU visit, offerFour-star 2018 wing Damezi Anderson talks with Peegs.com about today's visit to Indiana, scholarship offer from IU coach Archie Miller and what schools are recruiting him the most.
Peegs.comYesterday at 2:21 PM
Inside the Locker RoomAnother big weekend awaits as Archie Miller hosts his first team camp. We review what we may learn from that, identify the six prospects standing out right now from the Class of…
Peegs.comYesterday at 11:07 AM
Georgia LB high on Indiana following visitThe Hoosiers are in great shape with Georgia LB Braelen Oliver after his trip to IU yesterday.
Peegs.comYesterday at 7:19 AM
Hoosier Draft Dreams Come TrueThe NBA Draft saw two Hoosiers, OG Anunoby and Thomas Bryant, hear their name called, and although James Blackmon Jr. went undrafted, he already has reportedly found a home. We…
Peegs.comThursday at 10:51 PM