- When receiver Quenton Bundrage tore his ACL just three plays into the season, there was immediate talk of a potential medical redshirt. Iowa State still plans to apply for that, but whether Bundrage would want to use it largely depends on the upcoming season. Bundrage, coach Paul Rhoads said Wednesday, is ahead of schedule and should be ready to be full-go from Day 1 of spring practice in March.
“I don’t think we’ll hit him,” Rhoads said. “We certainly won’t tackle him, but I don’t think he’ll miss a day of spring practice based on what I’m watching.”
As for that medical redshirt? “I think the thing with Quenton is, he’s going to have his degree and he’ll have a chance to put himself into position to get looked at by the National Football League,” Rhoads said.
- Safety T.J. Mutcherson missed the final two games of the season while serving a suspension, and it doesn’t appear the issue is fully resolved. “We’re still in the final stages of making a decision on that,” Rhoads said.
- Speaking of safeties, Iowa State could shake up the depth chart when spring rolls around. Rhoads said that incoming defensive back Mike Johnson, who grayshirted this season after being a member of the 2014 Class, will be on the two-deep at safety upon his arrival. Current safeties could also find new positions. “You could see [Kamari] Cotton-Moya at the strong safety and not the free safety spot he was playing. You could see [Qujuan] Floyd move,” Rhoads said. “You could see a number of those things.”
- One thing fans can expect to see next season is a field with linebacker Jordan Harris on it. Harris was initially expected to play this season after being a mid-year transfer last season from Copiah-Lincoln, but he instead redshirted. That time has helped Harris, and he’ll now have two years of eligibility.
“I think he’s really taken advantage of that [time],” Rhoads said. “I think he’s understood Wally’s teaching and the position better. We got him down with the scout team the second half of the season and really let him drill at linebacker and play linebacker again. He showed up there. The offensive coaches noticed him. Now going into his second spring he’s going to be a valuable asset."
Harris and Kane Seeley should be the “chief competitors” at the middle linebacker spot this spring, Rhoads said.
- Quarterback Sam Richardson battled through the final games of the season with a bum right shoulder, and it still isn’t fully healed. Richardson has been doing band work, and the feeling from trainers is that he should be ready to go when the team meets Jan. 12 to begin winter workouts.
- Iowa State bolstered its defensive line Wednesday with the addition of mid-year signee Demond Tucker. It should also be bolstered this spring with two players who missed this past season. Rhoads said defensive lineman Terry Ayeni self-described himself at 85 percent Wednesday while Gabe Luna has improved too. Both are expected to participate fully in spring drills.
“You’re adding three additional bodies to the defensive front this spring,” Rhoads said. “That’s awfully important.”
Notebook: Injuries, Position Changes and More
AllCyclones Top Stories
Florida athlete impressed with Iowa StateIowa State played host to several official visitors, allowing them to take in a game day atmosphere. Go "Inside" AllCyclones.com to see what Florida wide out Tarique Milton had to…
AllCyclonesSunday at 6:09 PM
Iowa State gets first win of Campbell eraIowa State picked up its first win of the 2016 season and the first of the Matt Campbell Coaching era in Ames. Go "Inside" to see what Campbell had to say about the Cyclones first…
AllCyclonesSaturday at 3:36 PM
Iowa State still an option for Caleb ChandlerCaleb Chandler committed to Iowa State in late June, only to change his mind a couple of weeks later. The Cyclone coaching staff has never given up their recruiting efforts for…
AllCyclonesFriday at 9:07 AM
Florida DE gets offer from Iowa StateMonday will be a day that Florida DE Dante Johnson won't forget anytime soon. He received an offer from Iowa State Head Football Coach Matt Campbell.
AllCyclonesThursday at 3:52 PM