Long Beach City College (Calif.) safety London Iakopo holds three offers as June nears its end, and one of those comes from Iowa State, which will attempt to lure him away from the west coast in the coming months.
Iowa State, Arizona and Washington State are the three schools currently vying for the 6-foot, 210-pound safety's services with offers. A number of Power 5 schools are also showing interest as his recruitment picks up.
“Honestly, I met the coach once during spring practice and I didn’t hear anything back from them,” Iakopo said of Iowa State. “Then I got a text from my head coach [June 12] saying they were going to offer me and some of my teammates. It came as a surprise kind of because I hadn’t heard anything from them, but I’m blessed that it came because it’s another option and school I get to choose from to play football at.”
Iakopo stayed busy in June with satellite camp stops at Arizona, Washington State and Utah. None of the visits were to the actual schools and Iakopo currently plans to save those for a later date with a potential stop in Iowa.
The recruiting process, Iakopo feels, is still early.
“I feel like recruiting is going good right now,” Iakopo said. “Recruiting is just starting for me. I’ve never been in this situation before, so I’m not sure if it’s going fast for me or going slow.I’m going to talk to my parents to see if I’m going to plan any official visits for the summer or if I’m going to save them for the fall.”
Iakopo is open to leaving the west, he said, and Iowa State does have some connections with former Long Beach C.C. teammate Patrick Scoggins on the roster and with a friend playing softball in Ames.
All three schools that have offered Iakopo view him as a safety with the potential, because of his size, to play at the weakside linebacker spot. He hopes to get a better feel for schools with visits around his JUCO season.
“I have one bye week and then our JUCO season will end before the Division I schools do, so hopefully I’ll have a couple weeks in between there,” Iakopo said. “How recruiting goes in the next couple months will be my deciding factor on who I’m going to go visit and when I’m going to take those visits.”
“Probably more into the season I’ll have an idea and then after the season is when I’ll finalize that idea and make an official decision of where I want to go.”