It's that time of year again, the start of football season and the time to dissect the first depth chart update since the start of fall camp.
And really, there's not much.
- After undergoing competition during the two weeks of fall camp at both the punt and kick return positions, Iowa State has somewhat settled on what it'll run out to the field during Week 1 against Northern Iowa. The Cyclones list Trever Ryen OR Allen Lazard at punt return with D'Vario Montgomery and Trever Ryen listed at No. 1 and 2 at the kick return spot. At kick return, Montgomery and Ryen are followed by Jomal Wiltz and Orion Salters.
- There is a quarterback battle now listed for the No. 2 spot behind starter Sam Richardson. That didn't exist on the fall camp depth chart, but redshirt junior Grant Rohach and redshirt sophomore Joel Lanning have been in a tight battle since early August. Word on the street is that Lanning might be the guy, but time will tell.
- Among the JUCO defenders, defensive tackle Bobby Leath hasn't yet cracked the three-deep at the position. Meanwhile, JUCO defensive end Jhaustin Thomas has made it onto the depth chart, currently at No. 4 at the left defensive end spot.
- The running back position is as expected: the veteran Tyler Brown (with 24 career carries) is No. 1 followed by redshirt freshman Mike Warren. As expected, true freshman Joshua Thomas has emerged as the No. 3 back and will certainly get carries.
- Lastly, there's still a battle on the offensive line. It's Oni Omoile OR Wendell Taiese battling for Saturday's season-opening start.
Of course, time will tell what Iowa State runs onto the field Saturday night.