The bottom line is this: if you care at all about Iowa State athletics this is one interview you won't want to miss. My Monday Musings column this week will be the transcript of the interview I had with ISU university president Gregory Geoffrey on Friday morning. I feel that since the interview covers so many topics that have been discussed thoroughly within Cyclone Nation over the past eight months, we have a duty here at CN to make the entire interview free to read on this site by all.
The interview covers a wide-range of areas and covers them in-depth. The sit-down interview was approximately 45 minutes long this morning and took place in Dr. Geoffrey's office with myself, Bill Seals, athletic director Bruce Van De Velde, and sports information director Tom Kroeschell present. Here are the issues we addressed:
- How important does Dr. Geoffrey feel athletics are to the quality of life at Iowa State and Cyclone fans and alumni?
- What is the employment status of athletic director Bruce Van De Velde? When is his contract up? Will the university honor that contract? Will his contract get an extended?
- Did Van De Velde have Dr. Geoffrey's full support up front while he made the decision to recommend Larry Eustachy's termination, search for Eustachy's successor, and turn down $400,00 from ESPN to move the Northern Illinois game to Friday night?
- Can ISU remain competitive in the Big 12 by shrinking the second-smallest budget in the league even further?
- How come Dr. Geoffrey ordered the ISU athletic department to take a cut almost five times larger than what the University of Iowa asked its athletic department to absorb?
- How come the University waited for several days after the Eustachy photos came out before finally seeking his removal?
No stone was left unturned during this interview. If you're a Cyclone fan, and you're one of them who is skeptical about the direction of the athletic department, or if you just want reassurances that those in charge have ISU's best interest at heart, you don't want to miss this. It's basically everything you always wanted to ask, but were never given the chance to.
Now, for those of you that are subscribers to CN that just can't wait until Monday, you deserve to know first what Dr. Geoffrey had to say about the employment status of athletic director Bruce Van De Velde. Therefore, click on this link to be taken to our premium message board to find out:http://mb1.theinsiders.com/fiowastatefrm3.showMessage?topicID=1875.topic
See you again on Monday!