Week One Results
BAYLOR (1-0, 0-0)
This Week: Samford
Next Week: at Army
- Baylor's 28-23 victory at SMU ended the Bears' 24-game losing streak on the road dating to the 2000 season and was its first in a season-opener since the 2001 season.
had two players record 100-yard rushing games in the same contest for the first
time since the 1996 game at
. Sophomore Brandon Whitaker recorded career-highs in rushes (16), yards (110) and per carry average (6.9), while junior Paul Mosley rushed for a career-best 105 yards to record his second career 100-yard rushing game. Iowa State
- Baylor will seek its first 2-0 start since 2001 and just its 10th since 1965 when it hosts Samford on Saturday night.
Next Week: Open
12 Conference Special Teams Player of the Week, place kicker, Mason Crosby's
game-winning 47-yard field goal against
was his seventh consecutive fourth quarter conversion, five of which have been 41 yards or longer. Colorado State
- CU has scored in 194 consecutive games, the longest streak in the Big 12.
- The final period comeback over CSU was senior quarterback JoelKlatt's eighth with CU trailing or tied to either win a game or send it into overtime. Klatt is 7-1 in those games.
- Senior punter John Torp's first punt of the season went for a career-long 72 yards.
Next Week: Open
quarterback Bret Meyer completed a career-best 30 passes vs.
, the second-highest total for completions in Illinois State record books. Iowa State
- Sophomore wide receiver Todd Blythe has 10 career touchdown receptions in 13 career games. This ties him for seventh place on ISU's all-time touchdown reception charts with three others.
punt block for a safety was its first safety since Jeremy Loyd recorded one in a
36-31 win at
on Iowa Sept. 14, 2002.
- Dan McCarney has won a school-best 46 games and is 10-5 in night games.
This Week: Appalachian State
has forced at least one turnover in 21 of its last 25 contests. Kansas
attendance of 40,930 vs. Florida Atlantic is the largest for a home opener since
1994 - 48,100 vs.
in a 17-10 KU win. Michigan State
Charles Gordon moved into first place on the
career punt return yards list with 648. Kansas
- Senior linebacker Nick Reid has started 31 straight games dating back to his freshman season, the longest streak on the team.
Next Week: Open
- Tailback Thomas Clayton became the 12th Wildcat in school history to rush for 100 yards in a season-opener and the sixth straight with his 177 yards against Florida International. Clayton ran for 71 yards in 2004.
- Junior quarterback Allen Webb, in his sixth career start, set career highs in completions (19), pass attempts (31) and yards (161), and tied his career-best in touchdowns (2).
- Junior wide receiver Jermaine Moreira had a 67-yard punt return in addition to tying his career-high with seven receptions.
- K-State gained 147 yards the first two times it touched the ball in the second half with an 80-yard touchdown run by Clayton and Moreira's 67-yard punt return.
Next Week: Troy
- Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Week, quarterback, Brad Smith upped his career total for passing touchdowns to 47 after tossing four in Mizzou's season-opener, moving up one spot in the Big 12 career records to seventh. With 6,812 passing yards and 3,083 rushing yards, Smith became the third quarterback in NCAA history to achieve the 6,000 passing-3,000 rushing plateau.
wide receiver Brad Ekwerekwu caught his first two career touchdown passes in the
. Arkansas State
ran 41 times for 317 yards, an average of 7.7 per carry, and did not have any carries for lost yardage against ASU. Missouri
- Sophomore linebacker Bo Ruud registered a fourth quarter fumble recovery and an interception return for touchdown in garnering Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honors.
recorded 11 sacks for 69 yards in losses, tying the mark set against Nebraska on Oregon State Sept. 30, 1989.
had 10 punt returns for 198 yards against
, compared to 31 returns for 181 yards all of last season. Maine
- The Huskers have played before an NCAA-record 269 consecutive sellouts at Memorial Stadium - dating back to 1962.
Next Week: at UCLA
suffered its first home loss since 2001 and only second ever under seventh-year head coach Bob Stoops. OU is 36-2 in home games under Stoops. Oklahoma
- Seven players recorded their first career start against TCU. OU played 13 freshmen in the game, eight of those true freshmen.
's attendance of 84,332 set a record for home-openers as OU registered its 30th consecutive sellout. Oklahoma
linebacker Zach Latimer made the first start of his
career and responded with a career-best 15 tackles. Oklahoma
Gundy, OSU's all-time leading passer, began his head coaching career with a win
in the Cowboys' season-opener over
. Montana State
used just 10 players on its first kickoff to honor defensive back and special teams star Vernon Grant, who died in a car accident in May. Grant's father was given a framed drawing of his son before the game. Oklahoma State
- Senior safety Jamie Thompson, OSU's leading tackler in 2004, is off to a fast start in 2005 with 11 tackles, all solo, two sacks and a forced fumble.
Next Week: Rice
- The Longhorns recorded their 23rd 500-yard total offensive output game of the Mack Brown era in the win over UL-Lafayette.
is 60-0 when out-rushing its opponent and 39-0 when rushing for more than 200 yards under Mack Brown. Texas
- Junior quarterback Vince Young has 26 career rushing touchdowns which ties the record for rushing TDs by a quarterback with Marty Akins who played from 1972-75.
freshman Jamaal Charles rushed for 135 yards on 14 attempts, the highest
first-game total for a freshman in
This Week: Open
Next Week: SMU
- Fifth-year senior Jason Carter, the only player in Big 12 history to have a rush, catch, pass attempt and kick return for three straight years, gained 139 all-purpose yards on three rushes (26 yards), two catches (18 yards) and three kickoff returns (95 yards) at Clemson. He also threw an incomplete pass.
- Senior quarterback Reggie McNeal registered his third career 100 yard rushing game while also hitting the century mark in passing yardage with 107 yards against Clemson.
- Five true freshmen and five redshirt freshman made their A&M debuts in the season-opener. Coach Dennis Franchione had used only four true freshman in his first two seasons at A&M.
TEXAS TECH (0-0, 0-0)
Next Week: Sam Houston
- Texas Tech will be the final Big 12 team to open the season when the team takes on Florida International this week. The Raiders enter the 2005 campaign with a record of 51-26-3 (.656) in season openers.
- Texas Tech was ranked in both 2005 preseason polls for the first time since 1977. The team ended the 2004 season ranked in the Top 25 for the first time since 1995.
- Junior wide receiver Jarrett Hicks was named to the 2005 Biletnikoff Award Watch List, a year after setting the single-season touchdown receptions record with 13. He led the Big 12 with 1,177 receiving yards (98.1 ypg) in 2004.