"Here we go again on my own. Traveling down this road I've never known."
Yeah, I grew up listening to Whitesnake, oh Chris, it's a hair band from the 80's in case you didn't know, and right now I feel like "Crying in the Rain."
Fellow Cyclone fans, you too may
feel that this one man show and sometimes two man game is costing us big time.
Partly, you're right! But without Curtis & Will we wouldn't have had an NCAA
berth last year. There still is hope, much like the miracle in Chicago for the
Hawks, Cyclone fans may get revenge on this disappointing ending to the regular
season when every team has a better than normal chance in winning the Big 12
tournament. I don't want to count out Baylor yet as ISU goes there this weekend,
but besides them, every team has won a big game this year, even ISU beating
There are bright spots coming out of this season if you look hard enough at conference play.
2) This "team" is still 2nd in FT% at .732% making 153-209.
3) ISU is 3rd in three
point FG% connecting on 89 of 238 for .374% trailing
4) Cyclones are 5th in FG% made at 44.6%
5) The team is second in steals swiping 10.17/game trailing KU's 10.25.
6) Thanks to Curtis & Will, we are 2nd in assists with 15.83/game again trailing KU.
7) These Cyclones lead the conference in Turnover margin at +6.25/game.
8) Again, this team leads the Big 12 in Assist/Turnover ratio at 1.30.
9) Cyclones are only -.8 in scoring margin for conference play. Not bad for team well below .500.
10) Rahshon, Jiri, Shawn, Tasheed and Jessen are all shooting above 70% at FT line.
The bad news is as follows;
1) ISU is dead last in scoring defense allowing 77.2ppg.
2) Cyclones are 11th in FG% defense having teams shoot .494%. Ouch!
3) Along that category is 3point FG% where they are 11th as well allowing and most of the time I do mean allowing opponents to shoot .399%. Leader is CU at .327%
4) ISU is 11th as well in rebounding margin at -7.1 with Baylor last at -7.9.
5) Stinson and Blalock are only shooting .65% from free thrown line when the ball has always been in their hands down the stretch. Not good!
6) And the last notable weakness is something that we've had steady play on the past few years and that is blocked shots were the Cyclones are….you guessed it dead last at 1.5/game and the leader is Colorado at 6.25/game.
With what has transpired this season, one has to wonder if this truly is a team in that everyone knows their role and the "leaders" are making those around them better. There is still much to prove and with four games left a season to salvage. One pondering question I've had is that I really like the way Ross Marsden has shot the ball this year and he is 30-48 (.625%) in that category. How didn't he get a shot off against the Sooners????
Teams records when games decided by 5 points or less
Rankings as of 2/21
12) Baylor (2-10) (2/21@KU, 2/25-ISU)- Don't think Bears will win their first game on the road tonight do you? Underclassmen have led team in scoring 36 of last 40 games.