At No. 3 singles Uscinski claimed the first singles point for the Cyclones by defeating Jamie Nelson 6-0, 6-1, while teammate Derouin captured the second singles point at No. 5 after beating Wyoming's Amy Senko 6-2, 6-2.
Cyclone sophomore Caitlin Loprinzi won her second match in four days. She defeated Michelle Brown 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 in the No. 6 spot. Also capturing wins for the Cyclones were junior Jill Palen and freshman Kara Hickey at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively.
"I was really proud of the team, they came out to play in the singles matches after losing in the doubles matches," head coach Michele Conlon said. "Caitlin Loprinzi played better and better in her match. She played with a lot of heart in the tiebreaker, especially since she came from behind.
ISU continues action in Honolulu, on Thursday against Washington State at 6 p.m. CST. Yesterday's match against host Hawaii was rained out.
Iowa State 5, Wyoming 2
Singles (Order of
Finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 2, 6)
1. Jill Palen (ISU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WYO), 6-4, 6-1
2. Kara Hickey (ISU) def. Patricia Chien (WYO), 6-4, 6-2
3. Danielle Uscinski (ISU) def. Jamie Nelson (WYO), 6-0, 6-1
4. Andrea House (WYO) def. Eve Soriano (ISU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Chrissy Derouin (ISU) def. Amy Senko (WYO), 6-2, 6-2
6. Caitlin Loprinzi (ISU) def. Michelle Brown (WYO), 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
Doubles (Order of
Finish: 3, 2, 1)
1. House/Rowinski (WYO) def. Palen/Soriano (ISU), 9-7
2. Lazar/Senko (WYO) def. Chermel/Hickey (ISU), 8-5
3. Derouin/Uscinski (ISU) def. Brown/Nelson (WYO), 8-1