Iowa State used a three-point barrage to snap a two-game losing skid and beat Southeast Missouri State, 87-71, at Hilton Coliseum in its final game before the holiday break.
The Cyclones connected on a school-record 13 three-pointers, tying the record set against Butler in 1987. ISU also used a quick start, leading 51-27 at halftime. However, the Cyclones' struggles with full-court pressure that hurt them against Drake and down the stretch against Ohio State re-emerged when Southeast Missouri State slapped on a press in the second half and actually cut the ISU lead to 13 points after the final TV timeout.
However, ISU's quick start, 35-24 edge on the glass, and season-high 22 assists were just too much to overcome. It was the fifth time in six games ISU had out-rebounded its opponent by at least plus-7.
ISU improved to 8-5 and is now idle until North Dakota State visits Ames on New Year's Eve at 1 p.m.
- ISU is now 9-1 vs. Ohio Valley Conference schools.
tied the school-record for most three-pointers in a game with 13 (13 vs.
- Wesley Johnson recorded his sixth double-double of the season with 17 points and 13 rebounds...Johnson leads the Big 12 in double-doubles.
- Johnson has four double-doubles in his last six games.
- Johnson made a career-high three three-pointers...he is 8-for-14 from three-point range in his last four games (57.1 percent).
- Johnson posted a career-high 13 rebounds...he is averaging 10.2 rpg in his last six games.
- Brock Jacobson scored a career-high nine points on a career-high three 3-pointers.
-This marks the first time this season where ISU allowed an opponent to score over 70 points in a game in which they won...the Cyclones were 0-5 against teams that scored 70 or more points
- Corey McIntosh dished out a career-high eight assists.
- ISU recorded a season-high 22 assists
- Mike Taylor has made a three-pointer in nine consecutive games.