Cyclone Nation established a goal going into spring ball to dominate the coverage of it. We believe the record indicates we achieved our goal.
No other media outlet anywhere was at every ISU spring practice, except for Cyclone Nation. We provided the best and most thorough coverage of an ISU spring football practice not just in the history of this website, but in the history of collegiate sports media in the state of Iowa—period. And that extensive coverage isn't going to dry up just because spring practice is over now.
Cyclone Nation has raised the bar on ISU sports coverage, and we intend to keep it there.
As a registered user/non-subscriber of Cyclone Nation you may or may not be aware of what we offered our subscribers this spring. Now is the time for you to find out. That's why we're making all of our spring football coverage from this weekend free. More important, we want you to know our coverage of spring ball will pale in comparison to our planned fall football coverage.
Here is a summary of our spring football coverage:
Prior to the start of spring ball our Founder & Publisher Steve Deace provided some pre-spring insights in four parts.
1. On March 18th he offered a thorough examination of the 10 biggest questions going into the spring.
2. On March 18th he also took a detailed look at the offensive skill positions.
3. On March 19th he took a detailed look at the lineman on both sides of the ball.
4. On March 20th he concluded his pre-spring analysis with a look at the defensive back seven.
On March 22nd spring coverage opened up on a rocky note. There were some nuggets, however, in the first day's session offered to the subscribers of Cyclone Nation including:
1. An audio interview with ISU Athletic Director Jamie Pollard.
2. An audio interview with the president of the ISU Alumni Association Jeff Johnson.
3. An audio interview with ISU's Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Robert McFarland.
4. The fan's perspective on the first day of spring practice and the dawn of the Chizik era.
On March 23rd we rebounded providing securing some important early information for our subscriber base. Included in our reports were:
1. The transcript of the Jamie Pollard interview.
2. An interview with Des Moines Register reporter Andrew Logue who is returning this year to cover the Cyclones after a stint covering the Hawkeyes.
3. An audio interview with ISU Defensive Coordinator Wayne Bolt.
On March 24th there was no practice but we still provided our subscribers with some solid information regarding the football program. On that day we posted the following:
1. The transcript from the Wayne Bolt interview.
2. The audio from our interview with ISU's venerable director of Athletics Communications Tom Kroeschell.
On March 25th we provided some of our best information to date! Included in our posts to subscribers were:
1. A 40 minute plus audio interview with ISU Strength and Conditioning Coach Ken Sheppard.
2. An audio report from Coach Gene Chizik's to the media following practice three.
3. An audio interview with ISU senior safety Caleb Berg.
4. An audio interview with ISU's All-American candidate senior quarterback Bret Meyer.
5. An audio interview with ISU's all-American candidate senior wide receiver Todd Blythe.
On March 26th our coverage of spring ball stayed strong with the following offerings:
1. The transcript from Coach Chizik's presser.
2. An audio interview with ISU's all-American candidate senior linebacker Alvin "Ace" Bowen.
3. An audio interview with ISU's all-American candidate senior placekicker Bret Culbertson.
4. The transcript from our groundbreaking interview with Ken Sheppard.
On March 27th we provided key reports from Monday's first spring football press conference. Items posted included:
1. The full audio from Coach Chizik's press conference.
2. An audio interview with ISU junior offensive lineman Tom Schmeling.
3. An audio interview with ISU senior tight end Ben Barkema.
4. An audio interview with ISU sophomore defensive back James Smith.
On March 28th there was little to report since there was no practice the night before.
On March 29th we posted two key items:
1. The transcript from Coach Chizik's Monday press conference.
2. The audio from Bret Meyer's Q & A.
On March 30th a number of solid items made it to our premium site. Those items included:
1. The transcript from our interview with Todd Blythe.
2. An audio interview with ISU's running back and Special Forces Coach Jay Boulware.
3. An audio interview with Coach McFarland updating progress in spring practice.
4. The transcript from the Tom Schmeling interview.
On March 31st a free spring practice coverage sampler was provided to our registered users. Also a couple of very important transcripts were posted including:
1. The transcript from the Coach McFarland interview.
2. The transcript from the Coach Boulware interview.
On April 1st three solid interviews were provided to our subscribers. Those interviews included:
1. Audio from Coach Chizik following the first scrimmage of spring ball.
2. An audio interview with ISU's secondary coach Jeff Koonz.
3. An audio interview with legendary football coach Jackie Sherrill, the guest presenter at the High School Coaches Clinic.
On April 2nd the pace continued with some solid offerings to our subscribers. Those reports included:
1. The transcript from the Jeff Koonz interview.
2. The transcript from Coach Chizik's post scrimmage presser.
3. An audio interview with ISU sophomore offensive lineman Reggie Stephens.
4. An audio interview with ISU redshirt freshman quarterback Austen Arnaud.
On April 3rd CN posted a major interview with Coach Wayne Bolt updating the progress of his defensive unit following Monday's practice.
On April 4th two key defensive interviews were offered to our subscribers including:
1. An audio interview with Alvin Bowen.
2. An audio interview with ISU senior nose guard Ahytba Rubin.
On April 5th one of CN's groundbreaking interviews took place in this must hear report from ISU's defensive line coach Mike Pelton.
On April 6th CN experienced one of it's most important days ever. Although our audio tracking data would not be available for another few days we had 15,450 hits on our link site. That was a record day for us and affirmed that despite the almost non-existent feedback on our message boards about our reports the utilization has grown much, much faster than we anticipated.
On this day two key items were made available to our subscribers:
1. The spring practice photo gallery.
2. The transcript from Coach Bolt's interview from earlier in the week.
On April 7th CN was the only media to cover spring ball's lone Friday practice. Following the practice we were able to go deeper into the inner workings of the defensive backfield than has ever been presented at CN. In this interview ISU secondary coach Shawn Raney provided rare insights into the defensive backfield program.
April 8th was Easter and we didn't work that day.
On April 9th three key reports were provided to our subscribers. Those reports included:
1. An audio update to the media from Coach Chizik following ISU's second full spring scrimmage.
2. An audio interview with ISU sophomore defensive lineman Rashawn Parker.
3. An audio interview with ISU senior defensive lineman Bryce Braaksma.
On April 10th the entire front page of CN was dominated with spring ball updates including:
1. The transcript from the Coach Pelton interview.
2. Audio from Jamie Pollard and Gene Chizik's announcement about the new uniforms, plus the full audio from Coach Chizik's second official spring ball press conference.
3. An audio update with ISU junior running back Jason Scales.
4. An audio interview with ISU sophomore offensive lineman Doug Dedrick. Dedrick, one of the celebrated JuCos that arrived on campus this spring provided our first full look at the cardinal, gold and white offensive alignments.
5. An audio interview with Tom Schmeling updating us on the progress of the offensive line from a lineman's perspective.
On April 11th the transcript from Coach Chizik's Saturday scrimmage report was posted for our CN subscribers.
On April 12th Coach Wayne Bolt provided CN in this audio interview with his most detailed report on the progress of his defensive unit to date.
On April 13th three key items were made available to our subscribers including:
1. An audio interview with Coach McFarland providing more insights into the ISU offense than at any other point this spring.
2. An audio interview with emerging defensive leader Bryce Braaksma.
3. An audio interview with Alvin Bowen.
As you can see from this exhaustive list, now is the time to become a subscriber to Cyclone Nation and get the inside slant on ISU sports news. Right now, we're offering new subscribers a year's worth of Sports Illustrated at no extra cost. It's too good of a deal to pass up. Click on this link to sign up today!