"Coach Brian Ferentz came in for a visit last Monday (Dec. 1). I'm not taking (an official visit). Iowa is not interested anymore," Beneventi said. "Basically yes (Iowa pulled his scholarship offer). They are pressuring me more along the lines of not going to Iowa. Yes, saying I'm uncommitted would be the appropriate way to classify it."
The 6-foot-6, 200-pound Beneventi verbally pledged to the Hawkeyes on Dec. 5, 2013. The Fenwick High (Oak Park, IL) product was the second member of the 2015 class to commit to Iowa after Jake Newborg jumped on board in August of last year.
"I was definitely shocked but I would say I feel more disappointed than betrayed," Beneventi said.
"I'm currently exploring other opportunities," he said.
After receiving Beneventi's commitment, Iowa offered scholarships to and received pledges from in-state '15 quarterbacks Drew Cook and Ryan Boyle. It put the program in an unusual place of having three scholarship signal callers in one class.
Beneventi talked about listening to other programs after the Iowa staff offered and received commitments from Cook and Boyle. He had believed when he committed that he would the only quarterback in the Hawkeyes' '15 class. He never took any visits to other schools.
"(Brian Ferentz) personally came to the school, which was respectful," Beneventi said. "He just told me where they were at with me. I was shocked."