Iowa Hawkeyes 0-0 (0-0) vs Northern Illinois Huskies 0-0 (0-0)
Location: Soldier Field, Chicago Illinois.
Kick: 2:30pm Central
Both the Iowa Hawkeyes and Northern Illinois Huskies open their season on Saturday at Soldier Field.
- Game Notes (Depth chart, miscellany, etc, PDF)
- 6 Questions with the HN Staff
- NCAA 2008 Simulation - Overview
- NCAA 2008 Simulation - Video
- NCAA 2008 Simulation - Photos
- Jake Christensen Q& (Premium)
- Kirk Ferentz Transcript
- Kirk on the Side Transcript (Premium)
Random Facts and Stats
- Iowa has never played NIU away from Iowa City.
- Iowa has never allowed NIU to score more than 20 points.
- NIU has only beaten a Big Ten team once, that was in 1988, they beat Wisconsin 19-17 in Madison.
- NIU has never been ranked in any major college final polls.
- Last year's NIU defense surrendered 21.1 points per game, the lowest in Joe Novak's 11 years at Northern Illinois.
- NIU has a winning record against only one Division 1 conference, the Sun Belt Conference.
- The last time Iowa played on September 1st, they defeated Kent State 51-0, in 2001. The last time NIU played on September 1st, they lost to Oklahoma State at home, 31-14.
- As of 8:46 Wednesday night, no one competing in the HawkeyeNation.com Pickem contest has picked Iowa to lose this game.
A look at last year...
Last year, Iowa hosted Northern Illinois at Kinnick Stadium, 24-14. After jumping to a 17-0 lead at halftime, the Hawkeyes absorbed 14 straight points in the third quarter before putting another score on the board in the fourth quarter, leading to a final score of 24-14. Below are links to parts of HawkeyeNation's coverage of last year's game.