Iowa Hawkeyes 1-0 (0-0)
Syracuse Orange 0-1 (0-0)
Stadium, Iowa City, IA
Kick: 7:00pm Central
Iowa opens their home season against the Syracuse orange, in a re-match of last years double-overtime thriller.
- Syracuse and Iowa have played three times. Iowa lost the first meeting 7-10 in Syracuse in 1975. They had a rematch the following year that Iowa won 41-3. Then last year, in the Carrier Dome, Iowa won 20-13.
- Syracuse has played a whopping 135 games against the current members of the Big Ten, holding a record of 47-80-8. In those 135 games, they have been outscored by 845 points, or an average of 6.25 points per game.
- Syracuse has not been ranked since 2001.
- This is Kirk Ferentz' 100th game as a head coach at Iowa.
- Of the players who gained an offensive yard last year against Syracuse, only three (Albert Young, Damian Sims, Andy Brodell) are back this year. Scott Chandler, Herb Grigsby, Calvin Davis, and Jason Manson were the others who recorded stats.
- Last year, 37,199 fans attended the Syracuse game. Over 30,000 more are expected to attend Saturday's game at Kinnick Stadium.
- The last time Iowa held a non-conference night game was against Arizona State in 2003, not allowing Arizona State to score an offensive point in a 21-2 victory.
VIDEO - Austin Signor
VIDEO - Mitch King
VIDEO - Bryan Mattison
AUDIO - Matt Kroul AUDIO - Mitch King
AUDIO - Jake Christensen
AUDIO - Bryan Mattison
Trey Stross Q&A
Charles Godfrey Q&A
Howe: Kanellis Story a Sad One
Kirk On The Side Transcript
Kirk Ferentz Q&A
AUDIO - Charles Godfrey
AUDIO - Kirk on the Side