Bitten again

For the 20th consecutive time, Kansas State went on the road in the Big 12 only to head back to Manhattan empty-handed. And perhaps no other time has an 82-81 loss been this difficult to take.

Kansas State (10-9, 2-6) trailed by as many as 11 late in the game, but began mounting a comeback after a David Harrison basket gave the Buffs at 78-67 lead with 4:00 remaining. A Justin Williams basket inside was followed by back-to-back jump shots from Tim Ellis as the Wildcats closed the gap to 78-73 with 1:40 remaining. Capitalizing on four-straight misses from the field and four more from the free throw line, Kansas State was able to close to within 78-76 on a Marques Hayden 3-pointer from the top of the key -- his first 3-pointer of the season.

Systematically fouling to stop the clock, the Wildcats fed off repeated Colorado misses. To makes, however, left Kansas State trailing 80-76 with 12.1 seconds left. That's when Jarrett Hart scraped off a screen at the top of the key, caught a pass from Frank Richards and knocked down a three-pointer in one motion, pulling the Cats to within 80-79.

With no timeouts, the Wildcats were in a desperate attempt to foul when Richards managed to swipe the inbounds pass intended for Michel Morandais, who ended up fouling Richards. The senior guard, who didn't start for the fourth straight game, calmly knocked down both foul shots with 10.1 seconds left.

Colorado raced up court, not taking a timeout, when guard Jayson Obazuaye took it the hole, throwing up a shot attempt and getting fouled by Richards. Knocked to the ground, Obazuaye got up not realizing his shot had rattled through the basket to give the Buffs an 82-81 lead. His free throw rimmed out, but a desperation 3 at the buzzer missed wide and Colorado (13-7, 5-4) escaped.

Ellis led the Cats with 25 points on 10-of-14 shooting, while leading scorer Jeremiah Massey continued his hot shooting by scoring 21. Hart hit on just 1-of-10 shots from the field -- his only make the late-game 3-pointer.

Colorado was led by sharp-shooting 3-point threat Blair Wilson, who connected on 7-of-13 shots for a game-high 26 points. David Harrison, battling foul trouble, still managed 19 while Michel Morandais scored 18 but shot just 5-of-13 from the field.

Colorado led most of the second half after building a 35-33 halftime lead. Kansas State stormed back out of the locker room to claw its way to a 40-38 lead before the Colorado's Blair Wilson knocked down four 3-pointers in the span of two minutes to edge ahead. The Buffaloes then inched their way to an 11 point lead before the final flurry.

The first half was a game of runs, with both teams scoring in spurts. There were 10 ties and eight lead changes in the first half, with Kansas State building a 19-14 lead with 10:20 to go in the half. Colorado stormed back, though, tying the game on a Marcus Hall jumper and taking the lead on a Hall 3-pointer. The teams swapped the lead until a Morandais jumper with 40 seconds remaining gave the Buffaloes a 35-33 halftime advantage.

Purple Pride Top Stories