He's got size, speed and has already qualified.
However, he's still relatively unknown to most.
But if you ask quarterback Matt Wykes, he still has faith that he'll be discovered and offered scholarships.
Wykes is a 6-foot-3 205 pound record-breaking signal caller
But despite being listed as pro style quarterback by other recruiting analysts, Wykes said he considers himself more of the dual-threat style.
"I can run the ball," said Wykes, who runs a 4.56 40 yards. "I think I have the arm too that get it down the field when I have to as well."
He participated in camps this past summer at
However, if K-State were to offer tomorrow, Wykes said he would accept it in a heartbeat.
"I really like the family atmosphere they have at K-State," he said. "They're an established program with a good past and solid values. Coach (Bill) Snyder has been there a long time and that shows commitment to what he's hoping to do.
Wykes said, offensively, he likes the leadership role the quarterbacks at K-State have, which he said can very from school to school.
"It can vary with any team," he said. "But at K-State, they're in charge of so much and have a lot of responsibility. They run the option a lot and I‘d love to be able to do that. And I have the arm to get the ball down the field when I need to. They have a good balance to their offense."
Wykes hasn't scheduled any official visits yet, but hopes to
set something up with K-State and
Notes on Wykes:
- First became the starter for his high school as a sophomore and by the end of the season had set the school records for single-season and career passing yards. As a sophomore Wykes completed 71-of-132 passes for 1,388 yards and 14 touchdowns, while throwing just five interceptions. He also ran 87 times for 691 yards and nine rushing scores.
- As a junior Wykes completed 69-of-140 passes for 1,396 yards and 19 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He rushed for 607 yards on 98 carries, including 13 touchdowns.
- Over the course of two seasons (sophomore and junior), Wykes has averaged 20 yards per completion and averaged seven yards per carry. He also benched 320 pounds and has 32 inch vertical jump.
- As of today, Conway Springs has won 50 straight games. They do have a game tonight.
- Wykes also has a family connection to K-State. Both his older sister and his brother-in-law graduated from K-State a couple years ago.
- Has a 3.70 GPA and is on the honor roll. Wykes is also active in the National Honor Society, band, the student council and is a junior deacon at his church.
- His former teammate, offensive lineman Caleb Handy, is a freshman at K-State this season.