The awards are just starting to roll in for Kansas State's Michael Beasley and Bill Walker. Wednesday, the wildcat freshmen were named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches all-District first- and second-team,, respectively.
Oklahoma's Blake Griffin, Nebraska's Aleks Maric, plus Mario Chalmers and Brandon Rush from Kansas joined Beasley on the first team. The second team included Walker, Richard Roby of Colorado, Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson of Kansas, and Josh Young of Drake.
In 29 games, Beasley already holds 26 KSU career, single-season and freshman records, plus 13 in the Big 12 Conference.
Beasley was also named as one of 10 finalists for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, given by the United States Basketball Writers Association.
Another finalist from the Big 12 included D.J.
Augustin of Texas.
AMONG THE BEASLEY KSU RECORDS:
* Most points in a single season with 780 topping Mitch Richmond?s 1988 total of 768.
* Most points in a single season for a freshman, topping Norris Coleman?s 1986 record of 609.
* Most games over 40 points ? 3.
* Most games over 30 points ? 13.
* Most points in a freshman debut with 32, topping Mike Evans record of 30 set in 1974.
* Most points in a game by a freshman with 44, topping Coleman?s record of 39 set in 1986.
* Most double-doubles with 26, which is also a Big 12 record.
* Highest single-season average at 26.9, higher than Bob Boozer?s 25.6 average in 1958-59.
* Most field goals by a freshman with 277, breaking Coleman?s record of 254.
* Most field goals attempted by a freshman with 513, breaking Coleman?s record of 490.
* Most free throws by a freshman with 193, breaking Coleman?s record of 124.
* Most free throws attempted by a freshman with 251, breaking Coleman?s record of 149.
* Most rebounds in a single season with 366, breaking Jack Parr?s 1956 record of 340.
* Most rebounds by a freshman with 366, breaking Ed Nealy?s record of 230 set in 1979.
* Highest rebound average for a freshman with 12.6, breaking Nealy?s mark of 8.2. And many more.
Six times this year Beasley and Walker have scored over 20 points in the same game. Their combined high is the 75-point outing at Baylor when Beasley had 44 and Walker 31.
Twice the duo has combined for 58 points ? vs. Colorado (Beasley 33, Walker 25) and vs. Missouri (Beasley 40, Walker 18).
BEASLEY AHEAD OF DURANT;
Beasley is averaging 29.3 points and 12.6 rebounds in his 13 Big 12 games. In Big 12 games only last year, Kevin Durant averaged 28.9 points and 12.5 rebounds per game.
For the overall season, Beasley is at 26.9 and 12.6; Durant finished with averages of 25.8 and 11.1.
Beasley's last four games have been 44, 30, 39 and 33 points. He has a current run of 10 straight double-doubles.
TO LAST YEAR:
K-State needs to defeat Iowa State to match last year's 10-6 record in Big 12 play. A year ago, K-State entered the Big 12 Tournament with a 21-10 record. A win over the Cyclones would put the Wildcats at 20-10.
A year ago, K-State didn't make the NCAA, but this year it seems a lock that it will be in the Field of 65.