We once had a smallish running back at Kansas State. A back that many schools passed over because they thought he wasn't big enough or couldn't be that every down back. If I recall correctly, in the 2003 Big XII Championship Game, that Little Tank of a back ran roughshod over the "greatest defense in history" and led us to the Big XII Title. Of course, I'm talking about Darren Sproles. And I think there may be a few teams in the NFL who recently found out just how good Mr. Sproles is.
I bring all this up because we might have another smallish back on the horizon. One who plays with a chip on his shoulder about not being big enough. Or so people have told him. John Hubert, top running back for Midway High School in Waco, TX is that back. With offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Idaho State and Montana State, one can understand the zeal Hubert has over his recent offer from Kansas State.
- "I am looking to commit. I went to Louisiana Tech last Friday, and I'm at Kansas State this week. I am ready to make a commitment. Kansas State and Tech are my two leaders."
- Coaches Rodgers and Rahne have had in-house already, visiting last Tuesday. And yesterday Hubert got to speak to Coach Snyder himself by phone. "I called but he was in a meeting the first couple times I tried to reach him. But I finally got through. Coach told me he's very excited about me coming up there and checking out what KState has to offer."
- "I'm a smaller back, but that just motivates me. I always wanted to play in the Big XII and prove to people I belong."
- Contemplating a degree track in business, Hubert feels pretty good about success in the classroom.
- When asked what would jump out at him that says KState is "the place", John replied "Everything. My teammates, the fans, the atmosphere, everything." Oh...and the thought of playing in a stadium named after the coach? "That would be great!"
- Hubert is a self-described "nice guy". Outgoing and easy to talk with, he's got a personality that's just natural to the KState campus.