- KU's last win over a team ranked as high as Georgia Tech was the win over then-No. 12 Missouri on Nov. 28, 2008 at Arrowhead Stadium. KU's last home victory over a team ranked in the top 25 was in 2003 when Kansas defeated then-No. 23 Missouri.
- KU's win over Tech snapped an eight-game losing streak, including a three-game losing streak at home.
- Kansas scored its first touchdown of the season in the first quarter on a 15-yard TD pass from Jordan Webb to Bradley McDougald. It marked the first career touchdown throw for Webb and first TD for McDougald.
- True freshman running back James Sims became the first KU freshman to rush for over 100 yards in his first game. Sims gained 101 yards and one touchdown on 17 carries. His 101 yards also marked the second time since 2002 that a Kansas freshman gained 100-plus yards rushing. Toben Opurum rushed for 109 yards last season against Southern Mississippi...Sims' touchdown in the third quarter marked the third different Jayhawk to score his first career TD (along with McDougald and tight end Tim Biere) against the Yellow Jackets. Biere had a two-yard TD reception in the second quarter.
- Webb, center Jeremiah Hatch, and wide receiver Daymond Patterson each made their first start of the season. It was the first career start for Webb. The redshirt freshman completed 18 of 29 passes for 179 yards and three touchdowns.
- Patterson recorded seven receptions for 85 yards, the second-most of his career. Patterson had eight catches for 130 yards against Louisiana Tech in 2008. His 32-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter against Tech marked his first TD since the Florida International game in 2008. He scored twice that contest.
- McDougald had five receptions for 44 receiving yards, just five yards shy of his career high of 49, which he recorded against Northern Colorado in the season opener last year.
- Kansas converted 4-of-8 on third downs in the first half after going 4-of-15 on third downs last week against North Dakota State. KU went 6-of-15 on third-down conversions for the game against Tech, while the Yellow Jackets were 4-of-13.
- Senior punter Alonzo Rojas boosted a 66-yard punt in the first half, his longest since a 72-yard punt against Texas Tech last season.
- Senior linebacker Justin Springer had a big day. He had a career-high 15 tackles, the most stops since Drew Dudley's 17 tackles at Colorado last season. Springer also recorded three tackles for loss and a sack, his first solo sack since the Duke game last season.
- Senior safety Olatian Oguntodu had a career-high seven tackles, while junior linebacker Steven Johnson recorded a career-best 11 stops, topping his nine tackles against North Dakota State last week.
- Junior tight end Ted McNulty recorded his first career catch in the third quarter, an 11-yard reception.
- Attendance at Memorial Stadium was 46,907.
GT - Postgame News and Notes
Phog.net Top Stories
Big 12 Football Roundup: Week 3 Top StoriesAll you need to know about Big 12 teams leading into Week Three of the college football season.
Big 12 Recruiting Notebook (9/15/16)News, notes and recruiting scoop out of the Big 12...
Scout's Inside Recruiting ScoopSep. 14 -- What's the latest on the top recruits in the country? Scout's basketball recruiting team -- Evan Daniels, Brian Snow and Josh Gershon -- break down the latest, including…
Bruin Report Online09/14/2016
Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 2A look at the Big 12 Power Rankings after two weeks of play