Duke won the last meeting, on March 19, 2000 NCAA East regional. It was the third straight year Kansas went out in second round. Roy Williams is 12-7 against Duke as an assistant at North Carolina, but 0-3 as a head coach.
Carolina blue blood still burns
Articles highlight the rivalry
Successful as he's been during his 15-year tenure at Kansas, Williams has never won a head-to-head matchup with Krzyzewski's Blue Devils. His 0-3 record against Duke includes two high-profile losses that were particularly agonizing: a 72-65 defeat in the 1991 national championship game and a 69-64 setback in the second round of the 2000 NCAA Tournament.
Fact is, Williams hasn't won much of anything against Krzyzewski. He rarely wins a recruiting battle against Duke, for example, and readily admits as much. In terms of reputation, Krzyzewski wins easily. While Williams is sometimes considered a coach who can't win the big game, Krzyzewski is considered a brilliant game-day strategist.
Williams turns to Heels for tips
- Williams hopes to keep a dry eye a while longer
- Keeping up with KU isn't easy
- Threes key in Sweet 16 clash
- Langford gets through traffic like no other Jayhawk can
- NCAA shtick helps Williams steal show from Coach K
- When it comes to recruiting, even KU has to look up to Duke
- Anaheim awash in Jayhawk fans