* The Jayhawks moved up to #4 in both major polls this week, and the Memphis Tigers represent the first ranked foe Head Coach Bill Self's squad will see this season. The Tigers are listed at either #13 (Associated Press) or #14 (ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll) depending on where one looks.
* Junior forward Marcus Morris is leading the team with an 18.6 ppg average, shooting 64.5 from the floor. Now that's efficiency, folks.
* Memphis is also 7-0 this season, in what is Josh Pastner's second at the head of the Tigers' coaching table. The Tigers are scoring 85.3 points and giving up just 65.7 for a +19.6 scoring average, and forcing 18.4 turnovers per game.
* Junior forward/guard Wesley Witherspoon leads the team in scoring with 13.7 ppg, and rebounding with 5.9 blocked shots.
* The Tigers can lay claim to perhaps the most talented group of true freshmen in the country, led by the diminutive, but super athletic, point guard Joe Jackson. Jackson is second on the team in scoring at 12.1 ppg, and has already recorded 30 steals. Freshman guard Will Barton is contributing 11.9 ppg, and freshman forward Tarik Black is averaging 6.9 ppg.
* Kansas leads the all-time series 5-2, having won the past three matchups, including last year's 59-57 win in the Basketball Hall-of-Fame Showcase at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
* Tonight's game is part of the Jimmy V Classic, an event in which the Jayhawks are 0-2 historically. They last appeared in the event in 2005, falling to Saint Joseph's by a score of 70-67.
* A win would: Make Kansas 8-0 for the second straight year and the fourth season in the Bill Self Era…Make Self 210-43 a Kansas…Give the Jayhawks their 2,011th win of all-time.
* A loss would: Give Kansas its fourth-straight loss in Madison Square Garden…Make Kansas 0-3 in the Jimmy V Classic.