Bill Self: A Phog Biography
Current Position: University of Illinois Head Coach (2000 - Present)
As a player
- Played high school basketball at Edmond High School in Edmond, Oklahoma, averaging 22 points, 8 boards and 7 assists per game. Self was named Oklahoma Big School Player of the Year in 1981, and was also a member of the Converse All-American team.
- Played college ball at Oklahoma State (1981-1985), and was named to the All Big Eight freshman team. Self led OSU in assists for two years, and shot over 75% from the free throw line.
As an assistant coach
- Worked for Larry Brown at Kansas for one season (1985-1986), helping put together one of the best teams in KU history - going 35-4 on the season.
- Self spent 1986-1993 at Oklahoma State University, working as an assitant to both Leonard Hamilton and current head coach Eddie Sutton. Self's work at OSU helped OSU win a Big Eight Championship, three trips to the NCAA Tournament, as well as two post-season berths in the NIT.
As a head coach
- Bill Self's next job was head coach at Oral Roberts University, where he inherited a first year team capable of only a 6-21 record, but finished his run at Oral Roberts leading them to the NIT (1996-1997) after a 21-7 finish.
- Following his stint at ORU, Self then accepted the head coaching position at Tulsa, leading them in three short years to the Elite 8 in 1999-2000. In his tenure at Tulsa, Coach Self racked up an impressive 74-27 record at Tulsa, winding up his final year in 1999-2000 finishing 32-5.
- Illinois: In just three short years as head coach at Illinois, Self further solidified his coaching resume, taking the Illini to three straight NCAA appearances, an Elite 8 finish in 2001, as well as a Sweet 16 finish in 2002.
- There's further background and coaching info available at the official Illinois site.
Other Self Links of Interest
- ESPN.com's Andy Katz says, "Self to Kansas."
- CNNSi pulls together a number of reports.
- Self talks about his last season at Illinois.
- Self and Drue Jennings board private jet bound for Lawrence on Sunday.
- The fans' perspective from collegehoopsnet.com.
- The current Illini fan reaction and coaching speculation can be found on the Illiniboard Hoops Board.
Phog.net will have more on new KU coach Bill Self, including the latest on his assistant coaches. Please stay tuned.