- Kansas (1-6 overall, 0-4 Big 12) will attempt a big Homecoming upset Saturday when Texas (5-2, 2-2) comes to town. The game will kick off at 11 a.m. and Fox Sports Net will show it.
- The University will be celebrating its 100th Homecoming Weekend.
- KU is celebrating its 100th Homecoming on campus, but only its 99th Homecoming football game. The 1918 games was cancelled due to a flu epidemic
- KU is 42-51-5 on Homecoming.
- This is the first time Kansas has played Texas for Homecoming. The only two Big 12 squads the Jayhawks haven't played are conference rookies West Virginia and Texas Christian.
- Kansas trails Texas, 9-2, in the all-time series. KU got off to a good start, going 2-0 against Texas, and then the wheels fell off.
- Kansas' last win over the Longhorns came during the presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt: a 19-18 thriller in Lawrence. Max Falkenstien called it for KLWN.
- Based on the Jayhawks' record, one would be surprised to learn that Kansas ranks 20th in the NCAA in red zone defense, holding opponents to just a 71% success rate from the 20-yard-line in.
- KU ranks second in the Big 12 in red zone defense, behind only Kansas State.
- Sadly, what this probably means is, Kansas is giving up loads of long TD plays.
- On the brighter side, Kansas has had a 100-yard rusher in five of their seven games this season, and two different RBs have cracked the 100-yard mark more than once this season: James Sims three times, Tony Pierson twice.
- KU ranks 49th nationally in rushing offense.
- The Jayhawks are 9-2-3 all time in games played on October 27. KU first played a game on Oct. 27 in 1900, posting a 42-0 win at South Dakota. KU's last outing on October 27 came in 2007 with a 19-11 win at Texas A&M, "The Home of the 12th Man."
- Kansas Football's all-time record is 573-576-58 (.499 winning percentage).
- Texas head coach Mack Brown is 142-39 in his 15th season in Austin. A member of the Longhorn Hall of Honor, Brown is only the second coach in UT history to reach the 100-win plateau, joining Darrell Royal.
- He is also one of only six active coaches at NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools who have won 100 games at their current school.
- Brown got the UT gig in 1998 and promptly led the Longhorns to nine-straight 10-plus win seasons.
- He led Texas to the 2005 BCS National Championship in a win over Southern California that is still one of the best games you'll ever see. He also had some help from Vince Young.
- He has been named national coach of the year three times in his Texas career.
- Texas puts up 44.4 points per game, ranking sixth nationally.
- Horns RB Joe Bergeron is tied for third in the NCAA in scoring with 14 touchdowns. Bergeron leads the Texas ground game with 59.7 yards rushing per outing.
- QB David Ash has completed 139-of-198 passes on the season (70.2%), good for 1,663 yards and 12 TDs. Ash has thrown just three interceptions and is averaging 237.6 yards passing per game.
- Ash's favorite target is Mike Davis (30 receptions, 500 yards, four TDs).
- Jaxon Shipley has caught 24 passes for 268 yards and four TDs.
- Olympic long jump participant Marquis Goodwin is back on the field for UT and has caught 18 passes for 204 yards and two TDs.
- Goodwin is also the top kick returner for the Longhorns with nine returns for 233 yards.
- Texas's defense is led by LB Steve Edmond with 55 tackles, including 5.0 TFLs for a loss of seven yards. Edmond also has one interception and two forced fumbles.
- S Kenny Vaccaro has 53 tackles, two interceptions and two pass breakups to his credit.
- S Adrian Phillips has 44 stops and a pass breakup.
- Alex King handles the punting duties for the Longhorns and is averaging a very impressive 46.4 yards per punt.
- Kansas has 35 players on its roster from the Lone Star State. Texas does not have any players from the Sunflower State.
- James Sims is steadily moving up the KU career rushing charts. He currently sits at #12 on the all-time rushing yards (1,915 yards); #8 in rushing attempts (451); #3 in career rushing touchdowns (23, tied with Jake Sharp); and #7 in career 100-yard games with (eight, tied with Jake Sharp).
- Jayhawk QB Michael Cummings picked up his first career start in the Jayhawks' loss at Oklahoma. Cummings had taken snaps in KU's previous two games at Kansas State and at home against Okie State. After bringing some energy to the moribund Kansas offense, he got the nod at Norman. He finished the game with 10 completions on 21 attempts for 111 yards and three INTs. He recorded a career-long pass to James Sims for 51 yards.
- Again, showing improved discipline on both sides of the ball, Kansas ranks sixth nationally in penalty yards per game, being flagged for an average of 31.57 yards per game. The Jayhawks also rank seventh nationally in penalties per outing with 4.00 flags thrown per game.
- Jayhawk CB JaCorey Shepherd made the switch to defense earlier this season and seems to be settling in. Shepherd is getting more playing time and starting to make an impact. Shepherd recorded his first career pass breakup and tackle in KU's game at Oklahoma. Additionally, he was used on kickoff returns, registering two returns for 30 yards. Shepherd spent the 2011 season playing wide receiver, making 15 catches for 252 yards and three TDs.
- October 27 in sports history... Chuhei Numbu of Japan sets a new long jump record of 26' 2½" (1931)... the American Basketball League starts play (1961)... the games of the 19th Olympiad close in Mexico City (1968)... the Kansas City Royals come back from a three games to one deficit to beat St. Louis Cardinals to win the World Series in seven games (1985)... the New York Mets beat the Boston Red Sox, four games to three, to win the World Series (1986)... the Minnesota Twins beat Atlanta Braves, 1-0, in 10 innings to win game seven of the World Series (1991)... Don Baylor is named the first manager of the Colorado Rockies (1992)... The contract finalizing the move of the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore is signed (1995)... the Anaheim Angels win the World Series, beating the San Francisco Giants in seven (2002)... The Boston Red Sox win their first World Series title in 86 years (2004).
- Happy October 27th birthday to... famous daughter Kelly Osbourne (27)... Kansas City back-up, errrr, starting QB, Brady Quinn (27)... Stone Temple Pilot Scott Weiland (44)... Monty Python and Fawlty Towers alum John Cleese (72).
- Happy birthday, dead people! to... poet Dylan Thomas (98)... etiquette Nazi Emily Post (140)... president/adventurer/tough guy Teddy Roosevelt (154).
News and Notes: hawks vs. Horns
Phog.net Top Stories
Big 12 Football Roundup: Week 3 Top StoriesAll you need to know about Big 12 teams leading into Week Three of the college football season.
Big 12 Recruiting Notebook (9/15/16)News, notes and recruiting scoop out of the Big 12...
Scout's Inside Recruiting ScoopSep. 14 -- What's the latest on the top recruits in the country? Scout's basketball recruiting team -- Evan Daniels, Brian Snow and Josh Gershon -- break down the latest, including…
Bruin Report Online09/14/2016
Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 2A look at the Big 12 Power Rankings after two weeks of play
Big 12 bowl predictions after Week 2TCU goes down and loses its spot in the College Football Playoff, but another team from the conference steps in.