Kansas is playing its first official exhibition game of the season. The Jayhawks went 4-0 in Monterrey, Mexico, on Aug. 30-31. Sparta Praha is playing its fourth game on its tour after stops at Colorado State, Denver and Kansas State. Sparta Praha was 0-2 heading into its game at Kansas State on Sunday.
Kansas head coach Marian E. Washington is now 551-347 (.614) entering her 31st season at KU and overall. Sparta Praha, of the Czech Republic, is coached by Petr Fejk.
- Kansas takes the floor tonight with seven returning players and six newcomers. The team is comprised of just one senior and only two players with more than one year of experience at KU.
- This is the second straight year the Jayhawks have played an exhibition game against foreign competition. KU is 17-5 all-time against foreign teams in exhibition play.
- Tonight's game actually marks the fifth time the 2003-04 Jayhawks have taken the floor. KU went 4-0 against four teams from the Monterry, Mexico, area on Aug. 30-31.
- Kansas has been picked to finish 9th in the Big 12 in a preseason poll of the league's coaches.
- Tonight's game is the first of two exhibition games for the Jayhawks. The team will play its second and final exhibition game against St. Louis Goldstar on Nov. 16, before opening the regular season on Nov. 21 on the road against UMKC.
Kansas opens the 2003-04 exhibition season Monday, Nov. 10, when the Jayhawks take on Sparta Praha of Prague, Czech Republic, in Allen Fieldhouse with a 7 p.m. tip. The game is the first of two exhibition contests for KU as the Jayhawks will face St. Louis Goldstar on Sunday, Nov. 16, at 2 p.m.
The Jayhawks, guided by head coach Marian Washington in her 31st year, take the court this year with an excited blend of youth and experience. The Jayhawks return all five starters, and seven players total, who accounted for over 90 percent of the scoring and rebounding last season. Looking to make immediate impacts are five newcomers who were rated as the 21st-best recruiting class in the nation by All Star Girls Report. Depth will be a strength this season as the Jayhawks are legitimately two-deep at every position.
KU has won its last seven exhibition games including four games played earlier this year in Monterrey, Mexico, and holds an all-time exhibition record of 22-8.
Sparta Praha is on an eight-game tour set up through Basketball Travelers. The team opened at Colorado State on Nov. 5, before facing Denver on Nov. 6 and Kansas State on Nov. 9.