"I like it," Self said, "when guys have to play with their collars tight."
For the past two seasons, Jeff Hawkins hasn't even been a blip on the radar screen of Kansas basketball. Roy Williams allowed the former standout guard at Kansas City Schlagle to walk on at KU only because he agreed to redshirt his first year. As a freshman last season, Hawkins played 168 minutes, with 30 of that coming against NCAA Division II schools.
"Some people might have thought I was buried," Hawkins said. Then came a new coach, new needs and an improved Hawkins. In fact, his stock has risen so much that first-year coach Bill Self may start him in tonight's exhibition game against Pittsburg State.
Game Day Headlines
- Self Speaks (Phog.net)
- Self looking for improvements (KU Sports)
- KU isn't playing Self's level of defense yet (Wichita Eagle)
- KU coach finds criticism baffling (Topeka Cap Journal)
- Crystal Kemp, Brown ignite offensive explosion in KU rout (Topeka Cap Journal) >
- Kansas women roll in opener (KC Star)
- Jayhawks exhibit scoring punch (KU Sports)