All games can be followed via Gametracker by logging on to kuathletics.com, the official web site of Kansas athletics. All times listed are Central.
KU is looking to pick up momentum after opening the season last week in Tucson, Ariz. The Jayhawks lost three games in Arizona by one run and defeated New Mexico State 8-4 after scoring seven runs in a single inning.
The Jayhawk defense remains solid and ranks third in the Big 12 with a .960 fielding percentage. In addition, KU boasts a league-best nine stolen bases in 12 attempts.
KU's offense showed flashes of greatness in the opening weekend and was sparked by junior Nettie Fierros and freshman Jackie Vasquez. Fierros already ranks second in the Big 12 with a .600 batting average and is tied with Oklahoma's Heather Scaglione in doubles (four). Vasquez, the Jayhawks' lead-off hitter, led KU with seven hits on the weekend, good for a tie for second in the league.
KU uses three starters in its pitching rotation. Junior righty Serena Settlemier, who is also the Jayhawks' designated player, has pitched a team-high 15.0 innings, while sophomore righty Kassie Humphreys (9.2 innings) and freshman lefty Christina Ross (7.1) will continue to get the starting nod as well.
The Jayhawks finished 33-28-1 overall and 7-11 in the Big 12 last season. KU lost eight letterwinners, including six seniors, but welcomed four talented freshman to the squad in 2005.
KU Probable Starters
- P - Kassie Humphreys (So./Glendale, Ariz.), Serena Settlemier (Jr./Kelso, Wash.), Christina Ross (Fr./Santa Clarita, Calif.)
- C - Elle Pottorf (Fr./Topeka, Kan.)
- 1B - Nicole Washburn (So./O'Fallon, Mo.)
- 2B - Jessica Moppin (Jr./Olathe, Kan.)
- SS - Destiny Frankenstein (Jr./Broken Arrow, Okla.)
- 3B - Nettie Fierros (Jr./Avondale, Ariz.)
- RF - Ashley Frazer (Jr./Shawnee, Kan.)
- CF - Cyndi Duran (Fr./Tucson, Ariz.)
- LF - Jackie Vasquez (Fr./Tucson, Ariz.)
Story courtesy: KUAC