- The #14-ranked Jayhawks (1-0, 0-0) will take on Louisiana Tech (1-0, 0-0) of the Western Athletic Conference Saturday night. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.
- La Tech started their season off last Saturday with a pleasant surprise: a solid 22-14 win over Mississippi State of the mighty Southeastern Conference.
- This Saturday’s meeting will be the third between Kansas and Louisiana Tech. Believe it or not, the series is knotted at 1-1. Tech beat Kansas, 16-11, under the watchful eye of KU coaching legend Bob Valasente in 1987. In 2005, the Jayhawks broke out red jerseys for the first time in 60 years and won, 34-14. KU turned three interceptions into 17 points that night. LB Nick Reid led the Jayhawks with 14 tackles, and DB Rodney Fowler grabbed two picks.
- KU is 16-2 over their last 18 games.
- KU has won 10 straight at home and 15 straight home nonconference games.
- Over the past four seasons, the Jayhawks have won 19 of their last 21 at home.
- A win will make KU 2-0 for the fifth consecutive season.
- By being rated in Sunday night's Associated Press poll, KU has been rated for 11 straight weeks – a school record.
- QB Todd Reesing's three TD passes against Florida International gave him 39 for his career, which places him atop the all-time KU passing touchdown list. He also set a new mark for pass completions in a game (37, passing David Jaynes' 35 in 1973). His 6th straight 200-plus yard passing game ties him with Mike Norseth for the top spot. Only Bill Whittemore (13), Mike Norseth (12) and Frank Seurer (12) have more 200-plus yard passing games for their KU careers.
- 10 different Kansas players caught passes last Saturday against Florida International, the most since 11 caught passes last year against… Florida International.
- KU only had one play of 20-plus yards last week: a 24-yard pass from Reesing to WR Johnathan Wilson.
- KU controlled the ball for 37:49 last Saturday. That’s the highest Kansas time-of-possession since a 2003 outing against Oklahoma State (38:23). The Hawks held the ball for 11:28 of the fourth quarter.
- KU had four drives of 10 or more plays last week against FIU.
- Kansas' defense has held opponents to 14 points or less nine of their last 14 games.
- Florida International's 137 yards of total offense was the lowest total given up by KU since the Hawks held Southeastern Louisiana to just 73 yards last season.
- After week one of the college football season, DB Phillip Strozier and nine other guys lead the nation in interceptions with two each.
- KU has five teams on its schedule that are ranked in the current AP poll: Oklahoma (4); Missouri (6); Texas (11); Texas Tech (12); and South Florida (19).
- KU will play La Tech on September 6th. The Jayhawks are 2-0 all-time on September 6th with wins over Nevada-Las Vegas (2003) and Texas Christian (1997).
- Saturday night is Heroes Night at Memorial Stadium. Active military, veterans, fire and emergency personnel and teachers will be able to buy a ticket for just $10 when showing valid ID. Their families can purchase additional tickets for a discounted price of $30.
- Former KU great and NFL Hall of Famer Mike McCormack will be inducted into the Ring of Honor at halftime Saturday. The guy was a stud and a good NFL coach, as well. Turn out and show your respects.
- The Louisiana Tech game will be the first of two consecutive national TV appearances for KU. Saturday's game will be televised on FSN, and next week's contest at South Florida will be shown on ESPN2.
News and Notes: KU vs. Louisiana Tech
Phog.net Top Stories
Ogunbanjo offered by KUThe Kansas Jayhawks have extended an offer to Texas OLB Joseph Ogunbanjo.
Phog.netFriday at 6:53 AM
Kansas offers HawkinsThe Jayhawks extended an offer to talented 3-star corner JaKorey Hawkins.
Phog.netFriday at 6:39 AM
Hoard impresses during eval periodFive-star forward Jaylen Hoard recaps recent offers and how he hopes to improve his game this summer.
Phog.netWednesday at 8:23 PM
Strickland offered by JayhawksJayhawks reach out to 6-foot-6 offensive tackle Jalynn Strickland.
Phog.netWednesday at 7:32 PM
Jayhawks target New Orleans againKansas looks to add another big prospect from Landry-Walker.
Phog.netWednesday at 7:17 PM