- The #13 Jayhawks (2-0 overall, 0-0 Bug 12) will take on #19 South Florida (2-0, 0-0 Big East) Friday night in Tampa. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. Central.
- KU will take on an opponent in an NFL stadium for the third time in their last five games (vs. those people at Arrowhead; vs. Virginia Tech at Dolphin Stadium; vs. South Florida at Raymond James Stadium).
- You can watch the game on ESPN2. Sean McDonough, Chris Spielman and Rob Stone will make the call.
- KU is 21-6 in nonconference games under head coach Mark Mangino.
- Yes, KU is 8-21 on the road under Mangino but they were 4-0 last season. All four were Big 12 victories.
- KU has won 14 of their last 15 games and 17 of 19.
- The Jayhawks are ranked for the 13th straight week, the second-longest streak in school history. Kansas was ranked for 14 straight weeks over the span of 1995-96.
- Kansas is just 9-16 in games where both teams are ranked. Last year, the Hawks were 1-1, defeating Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl but losing to those people in the season finale.
- KU is 4-7 against ranked teams in the Mark Mangino era. They’ve beaten #23 Missouri (2003), #25 Iowa State in 2005, #24 Kansas State (2007) and #8 Virginia Tech (2007).
- Last Saturday, QB Todd Reesing overcame soggy conditions to throw for a career-high 412 yards in a 29-0 win over Louisiana Tech. That single-game effort hits #3 on the all-time KU list. Reesing holds four of the top 13 single-game passing marks in the KU record book. By the way, I have been authorized to award 200 Scout points to anyone who can name the two QBs whose single-game passing performances are better than Reesing’s 412 last week.
- The KU defense pitched its second complete game shut-out under Mark Mangino.
- WRs Dez Briscoe and Daymond Patterson combined for 15 catches and 276 yards receiving. Patterson had eight receptions for 130 yards, and Briscoe had seven for a career-high 146 yards and a TD. WR Kerry Meier continued to catch everything thrown his way, making nine grabs for 71 yards.
- And the Scout points go to… the two Jayhawk quarterbacks to throw for more yards in a single game than Reesing last Saturday are Mike Norseth (480 vs. Vanderbilt, 1985) and Bill Whittemore (422 vs. Colorado, 2003). Reesing’s 412 squeaked him by Kelly Donohoe’s 411 (vs. Iowa State, 1989).
News and Notes: KU vs. #19 South Florida
Phog.net Top Stories
NSD Recap - OLTaking another look at National Signing Day 2017, position by position, continuing with the offensive line.
Preston video interviewKansas 5-star commit Billy Preston with a message to all Jayhawk fans.
Phog.netYesterday at 8:04 PM
Preston does it allOak Hill Academy coach Steve Smith breaks down the game of Kansas commit Billy Preston.
Phog.netYesterday at 7:56 PM
Q&A on KU Football recruitingFinal installment of our Q&A with Scout Director of Recruiting Brandon Huffman on the challenges ahead for Kansas football.
Phog.netMonday at 9:02 AM
NSD Recap - KickersTaking another look at National Signing Day 2017, position by position, continuing with kickers.
Phog.netSunday at 9:34 PM