The Good News
The Kansas offense was able to operate in both transition and in half court sets all afternoon against an outmanned UMKC team. After struggling a bit offensively against UNC Asheville, Kirk Hinrich refused to be denied today on the offensive end, shooting 7 for 8 from behind the arc, 10 for 12 from the field, and tallied 29 for the Jayhawks in the win. Another highlight reel day for Sophomore Guard Keith Langford, as he threw down dunk after dunk, finishing with a double-double, 18 points and 10 boards (five of those ten were offensive boards).
In addition to the contributions on the offensive end from the little guys, Senior Forward Nick Collison has another impressive performance, shooting 9 of 13 from the field, and scoring 20 on the afternoon, to go along with 5 rebounds. Junior Forward Jeff Graves scores his first double-double for the Jayhawks, pulling down 12 boards and scoring 10 from inside, getting 25 minutes of playing time today.
Other high points for the Jayhawks
- Bryant Nash hits his first three-pointer of the season for KU, finishing with 6 points, all of his points coming from 2-4 shooting from behind the arc.
- As a team, Kansas shot 37-68 (54%) from the field, and 10-24 (42%) from behind the three-point line.
UMKC guard Michael Watson (22) attempts to get around Aaron Miles, left, during the first half (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
The Bad News
- Kansas Forward Wayne Simien suffered a separated shoulder in the first half attempting to block a layup and left the game. Phog.net will have more info on Wayne's condition as the information becomes available.
- Sophomore Aaron Miles had a tough afternoon at point guard, cranking out 7 assists, but also dishing out 5 turnovers.
- UMKC Guard Michael Watson was still able to score on the Kansas backcourt, however he was held to 10 of 27 from the field, racking up 27 total points.
Next Game and More Info
- Kansas moves to 8-3 on the season, still 0-0 in conference play.
- UMKC falls to 1-11 on the season.
- The Jayhawks travel to Ames Iowa to open the Big XII Conference run against the Iowa State Cyclones on Monday. Gametime is 8:00 pm, and coverage is provided by ESPN.
- Complete Boxscore Courtesy of Yahoo Sports