- Kansas (#22 AP, #23 Coaches) returns to Walnut Grove to host Duke (1-1, 0-0 ACC) Saturday in a game televised nationally on Versus at 11 a.m.
- KU (2-0 overall, 0-0 Big 12) owns a 3-16 record against current members of the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Jayhawks are 1-0 vs. Virginia Tech, 2-5 vs. Florida State, 0-1 vs. Georgia Tech, 0-2 vs. North Carolina, 0-2 vs. North Carolina State, 0-2 vs. Virginia and 0-4 vs. Miami.
- The last time KU played an ACC team was – like I have to tell you? – when the 'Hawks defeated conference champion and fifth-ranked Virginia Tech 24-21 in the 2008 FedEx Orange Bowl. The last time KU hosted an ACC team in Lawrence was a 50-10 loss to #15 Virginia in 1990.
- In between, KU lost to Phillip Rivers and North Carolina State 56-26 in the 2003 Tangerine Bowl; lost 42-0 to Florida State in the 1993 Kickoff Classic; and lost at Virginia, 31-19, in 1991.
- The Jayhawks play four of their first five in 2009 season in the friendly confines. Their only road game in that stretch was last week when they defeated UTEP. Their next road game is October 17 when they take on Colorado at Boulder.
- KU is looking to start a season 3-0 for just the third time in the last 12 seasons (2005 and 2007).
- Kansas is 24-4 at home since the beginning of the 2005 season.
- KU has won 18 consecutive non-conference home games since losing the 2003 season opener to Northwestern and has won 18 of their last 20 games against non-Big 12 Conference foes, including three bowl victories.
- KU is 25-7 in its last 32 games overall dating back to the legendary "dollar signs" rant.
- The Jayhawks are 22-7 in the month of September under coach Mark Mangino.
- For the first time in school history, all four of KU's non-conference games are being televised.
- Another first: all non-con games are first-time meetings with those opponents.
- KU head coach Mark Mangino will take sole possession of second place on the all-time career victory list with a win over the Blue Devils. He shares the number two spot with Glen Mason at 47.
- All active and retired military, police, fire and emergency personnel and teachers are eligible to purchase a game ticket for just $10. Family and friends can purchase a ticket for just $25. For more information contact the Kansas Athletics Ticket Office at 800-34-HAWKS.
- Fans can still purchase a "Saturday in September" ticket package for the Duke or Southern Mississippi games. The package includes four reserved seats for just $100.
- Heh. I said, "package." Twice.
- If you've got a Junior Jayhawk at your house, bring 'em out Saturday. All Junior Jayhawks get in free with their membership card. Family members can purchase additional tickets for just $25. They can pick up their complimentary ticket at any Memorial Stadium ticket booth.
- In other kid news, kids can cheer with the Spirit Squad for the first half of the Duke game. For more information contact the Spirit Squad office at 785-864-3002.
- •No word yet on opportunities for future mancers. Keep your dial tuned to Phog.net.
- All former lettermen are welcomed back for the Duke game with a pregame tailgate at 9 a.m. The tailgate will include a buffet, beverages and a game ticket. Lettermen can purchase additional tickets for just $25. For more information, contact the Williams Educational Fund at (785) 864-3196.
- Celebrating their birthdays this Saturday: comedian and late night chat show host Jimmy Fallon (34); country singer Trisha Yearwood (44); creepy actor guy Jeremy Irons (60); Righteous Brother Bill Medley (68); and the best Batman ever, over-actor Adam West (80).
News and Notes: KU vs. Duke
Phog.net Top Stories
Kansas Big 12 StreakKansas has won its 13th consecutive Big 12 regular season title. Campus Insiders takes a look at how that streak compares to others throughout college basketball history.
Preston recaps season.Kansas commit Billy Preston recaps his season at Oak Hill Academy, and looks ahead to next year with the Jayhawks.
NSD Recap - RBTaking another look at National Signing Day 2017, position by position, continuing with the running backs.
NSD Recap - LBTaking another look at National Signing Day 2017, position by position, continuing with linebackers.
KU grabs Big 12 TitleThe Kansas Jayhawks had high-flying highlights all game on their way to their 13th straight Big 12 title against TCU in Allen Fieldhouse. Whether it was a putback dunk or an alley…