- No. 20 AP/No. 19 Coaches Kansas (3-0, 0-0 Big 12) will host Southern Mississippi (3-0, 1-0 Conference USA) Saturday in a game televised nationally on FSN. Kickoff is scheduled at 11 a.m. KU is kicking off before noon for the second straight week. Last year the Jayhawks started six of their 13 games before noon. Hey, don't blame me. I don't set the times; I just write ‘em down.
- A win will give the Jayhawks a 4-0 start for just the eighth time since 1920 (2007, 1995, 1981, 1976, 1968, 1952, 1930). By contrast, KU started 4-0 19 times between 1890 and 1920.
- KU is one of 21 schools in the country with a 3-0 record, and seven more are 2-0. The list of undefeated will shrink this weekend, since both Kansas and Southern Mississippi are 3-0.
- Kansas is trying to go undefeated in non-conference play for the third time in the last five years (2005 and 2007).
- KU is 25-4 at home since the beginning of the 2005 season.
- KU has won 19 consecutive non-conference home games since losing the 2003 season opener to Northwestern.
- KU has won 19 of its last 21 games against non-Big 12 Conference foes, including three bowl victories.
- KU is 26-7 in its last 33 games overall dating back to late in 2006.
- KU is 23-7 in the month of September in the Mark Mangino era.
- All four of KU's non-conference games are being televised for the first time in school history.
- All four of KU's non-conference games are first-time meetings with the opponents.
- Kansas and Southern Miss will be meeting for the first time in school history.
- In the last five years Kansas' non-conference schedule has had a southern flavor. For the 14th time in 19 regular season games against non-Big 12 opponents, the Jayhawks will be playing a team from the south.
- Kansas is meeting a Conference USA opponent for the second time this season, having beaten UTEP, 49-7, earlier in the year. The Jayhawks are now 17-9 against current members of the league all-time with a 4-0 mark vs. UAB, 3-0 vs. Houston, 1-0 vs. Rice, Tulane and UTEP and 5-5 vs. Tulsa.
- Before this season the last time KU played a Conference USA team was a 42-13 win against Houston in the 2005 Fort Worth Bowl. The last previous regular season meeting before this year was a 21-3 win against Tulsa to open the 2004 season.
- KU has recorded at least three sacks in each of its last four games dating back to last year and has had 11 in the last two games combined.
- KU has outscored opponents 51-0 in the second quarter through three games this season.
- Kansas QB Todd Reesing has thrown a touchdown pass in 21 consecutive games. No other active NCAA player can say that.
- QB Todd Reesing (9,028) needs 140 yards of total offense to pass Vince Young of Texas for seventh on the Big 12 career total offense chart.
- Reesing also needs 416 passing yards to pass Slaver and six-time Heisman Trophy winner Brad Smith for sixth on the Big 12 career passing yardage list. He also needs six completions to pass Joel Klatt of Colorado (690) for seventh on the Big 12 career completions list.
- As good as Todd Reesing's been as a starter, other Jayhawks who have thrown passes in the last three seasons are a combined 34 of 39 (87.2 percent) for 454 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. I'm jus' sayin'…
- RB Jake Sharp needs one more rushing touchdown to tie Brandon McAnderson and Chip Hilleary for third on the KU career rushing touchdowns list with 23. Twelve more points for Sharp will move him past Jeff McCord (179) for sixth on the KU career scoring list.
- WR Dezmon Briscoe needs just 93 receiving yards to pass Willie Vaughn (2,266 from 1985-88) and become the Jayhawks' career receiving yardage leader. Seven more catches will move him past Mark Simmons (155) as the KU career receptions leader.
- Briscoe has produced six straight 100-yard receiving games and caught at least two passes in 21 straight.
- WR Kerry Meier (1,518) needs 30 yards to move into 10th place on the KU career receiving yardage list. He's also caught two or more passes in 26 consecutive games.
- LB Drew Dudley and DE Jake Laptad have each recorded a sack in three straight games.
- Kansas does not list any players on its roster from the state of Mississippi; however, Southern Miss OL Kyle Burkhart is from Kinsley, KS, and played at Dodge City Community College, and DL De'Anthony Bandy is representin' the 816, yo.
- USM head coach Larry Fedora is familiar with the Big 12 after spending time as an assistant coach at Baylor (1990-96, which included the Big 12's inaugural season) and Oklahoma State (2005-07). He is the only coach at a Division I school to have a hat named after him. KU was 1-1 against OSU when Fedora was there and did not play Baylor.
- USM associate head coach and offensive coordinator Darrell Wyatt was an associate head coach/o-coordinator/wide receivers coach at Kansas from 1997-2000.
- USM o-line coach Chris Kapilovic was a graduate assistant at Kansas from 1999-2000.
News and Notes: KU vs. Southern Miss
Phog.net Top Stories
Williams recaps OVDominic Williams had a standout senior season, rushing for more than 2,000 yards at Frisco (Tx.) Independence High School. He recaps his official visit to Kansas.
Phog.netYesterday at 4:33 PM
Bender looks to competeJUCO transfer Peyton Bender looking to compete for quarterback position in spring camp.
Phog.netSaturday at 4:57 AM
Huge OV weekendFull list of weekend official visits for the Kansas Jayhawks.
Phog.netFriday at 5:07 PM
Johnson defies expecationsSanta Rosa Junior College coach Lenny Wagner on new Kansas WR Kerr Johnson.
Phog.netWednesday at 10:04 PM