- Kansas has now started 4-0 for the eighth time in school history and second time in the last three years. The Jayhawks have won six straight games dating back to last season.
- No. 19 KU snapped Southern Mississippi's eight-game winning streak. It was the ninth straight loss to a ranked opponent for Southern Miss.
- Senior Kerry Meier came up big in the first quarter with a 62-yard touchdown reception, the Jayhawks' longest TD of the season. Meier caught 10 passes for 141 yards, eclipsing his previous career high of 136 yards vs. Sam Houston State last year. He's now recorded triple digit receiving yards in four of his last six games.
- Freshman running back Toben Opurum rushed for 109 yards on 28 carries. That marks the first time a KU freshman rushed for over 100 yards since Clark Green did so twice in 2002. Opurum also rushed for a touchdown and caught a 12-yard TD, his first receiving touchdown of his career.
- Junior Dezmon Briscoe ran for a 20-yard touchdown in the first quarter, his first rushing TD of his career. He also caught four passes for 60 yards.
- KU's 14 points in the first quarter are the most points the ‘Hawks have scored in the first quarter this season. Kansas scored at least one touchdown in each quarter for the second straight game.
- Todd Reesing's 331 yards of total offense passed former Texas quarterback Vince Young for seventh place on the all-time Big 12 total offense list. Reesing has 9,359 career total offense yards. He completed 30 of 41 passes for 331 yards and three touchdowns, his second straight game with over 300 passing yards. Reesing has now thrown a touchdown in an NCAA active-player best 22 consecutive games.
- KU had a balanced passing attack with Meier, Briscoe, freshman Bradley McDougald (career-high seven catches) and junior Jonathan Wilson (five receptions) each grabbing at least four passes. This marked the third straight game where the Jayhawks had at least four players make four catches.
- Junior Jake Laptad recorded a sack against the Golden Eagles. He has now been on a sack in each of KU's four games.
- The seven-point scoring margin is the closest game at Memorial Stadium since KU nipped Colorado by five points in 2006.
- Junior Chris Harris set a career high in tackles with 15 (11 solo), while junior Drew Dudley recorded a career high in stops with 10.
- KU rushed for 102 yards, marking the first time in nine games where Southern Miss has given up 100 yards on the ground. On the flip side, KU held the Golden Eagles to just 64 rushing yards. Top rusher Damion Fletcher, who entered the contest averaging 114.7 rushing yards per game, gained just 27 yards. He did, though, have 70 receiving yards.
USM Retro: News and Notes
Phog.net Top Stories
Kansas Big 12 StreakKansas has won its 13th consecutive Big 12 regular season title. Campus Insiders takes a look at how that streak compares to others throughout college basketball history.
Preston recaps season.Kansas commit Billy Preston recaps his season at Oak Hill Academy, and looks ahead to next year with the Jayhawks.
NSD Recap - RBTaking another look at National Signing Day 2017, position by position, continuing with the running backs.
NSD Recap - LBTaking another look at National Signing Day 2017, position by position, continuing with linebackers.
KU grabs Big 12 TitleThe Kansas Jayhawks had high-flying highlights all game on their way to their 13th straight Big 12 title against TCU in Allen Fieldhouse. Whether it was a putback dunk or an alley…