- After a week off, #16 AP/#15 Coaches Kansas (4-0, 0-0 Big 12) hosts Iowa State (3-2, 0-1) in the Jayhawks' conference opener. Kickoff for the 2009 Homecoming matchup is scheduled for 11:30 a.m., thanks to the good folks from Versus who want to televise the ugliness.
- 150 bonus Scout points for anyone who knows, if Iowa State is the Cyclones, why is there a guy in a cardinal suit on their sideline? Keep reading for the answer.
- KU is playing its fourth home game in its first five contests. After this week the Jayhawks will then play four of their next six on the road before playing the Slavers at Arrowhead.
- KU has posted a 26-4 home record in the last five seasons.
- KU has won nine straight home games vs. Big 12 North opponents since losing to Colorado in 2004. KU is 14-4 in its last 18 games against Big 12 North opponents.
- KU is opening Big 12 play at home for the first time in the last five years and just the third time in the last 11 seasons. In fact, KU will start league play at home for just the fifth time in 14 years in the Big 12 Conference. Why does the Big 12 hate Kansas? For that matter, why does the Big 12 hate America?
- A KU victory in the conference lid-lifter would make it three in a row for the Jayhawks. KU beat Kansas State in Manhattan, 30-24, to kick off 2007 conference play. Last season, KU overcame a 20-0 deficit in Jack Trice Stadium and Wind Tunnel to beat Iowa State, 35-33.
- KU is 41-49-5 all-time on homecoming. Coach Mark Mangino is 4-3 in seven homecoming tries.
- KU is 7-6 against Iowa State in homecoming games, including four straight wins.
- With a win, KU will go to 5-0 for the fourth time since 1921. KU started 11-0 in 2007, 7-0 in 1995 and 7-0 in 1968).
- KU is 27-7 in its last 34 games dating back to "Dollar signs."
- KU has won four straight post-bye week contests.
- KU is kicking off before noon for the third straight game. I know. I'm just sick about it, too.
- Since the start of the 2007 season, KU is 8-2 against the rest of the Big 12 North. Only the Slavers are better at 9-1. MU's lone loss? "Reesing is flushed out of the pocket! He steps right! He throws… he's got Meier downfield…touchdown! Touchdown! Touchdown!"
- KU is one of 13 remaining unbeaten teams in the country with a 4-0 record or better. Eight schools are 5-0, while KU is one of five listed at 4-0.
- Kansas owns a six-game winning streak – fourth-longest active streak in the nation behind Florida (14), Iowa (nine) and Texas (eight). Also at six are South Florida, LSU and TCU.
- Kansas leads the all-time series with Iowa State, 48-34-6, including a 26-15-3 mark in Lawrence. Kansas has won four straight in the series and five of the last six. Since the start of the Big 12, KU leads, 8-5.
- The Jayhawks and Cyclones have met every season since 1930.
- Last year in Ames, KU matched the third-biggest comeback in school history after trailing 20-0 at halftime. The Jayhawks woke up in the locker room and won on the strength of 186 all-purpose yards from RB Jake Sharp and 319 yards passing by QB Todd Reesing. WR Kerry Meier also had seven catches for 125 yards. KU scored on five of their six second-half possessions.
- Last time the two played in Lawrence, it got ugly early and stayed that way. Reesing connected on 19 of his first 20 pass attempts with the lone incompletion coming on a throw-away to avoid a sack. KU won, 45-7, and Meier caught an 18-yard TD pass and became a Sports Illustrated cover boy in the act. He also threw a TD pass in that game.
- QB Todd Reesing has played three times against Iowa State and is a combined 42 of 57 for 607 yards and eight touchdowns.
- He was three of five for 35 yards and one touchdown as a freshman, 21 of 26 for 353 yards and four touchdowns as a sophomore and 18 of 26 for 319 yards and three touchdowns last year.
- Meier threw for 199 yards against Iowa State – his second-best career passing game – as KU's starting QB in 2006. His 125 receiving yards against the Cyclones last year is the third-best of his career.
- WR Dezmon Briscoe needs 33 receiving yards to pass Willie Vaughn (2,266) to become the KU career leader in receiving yards. He needs just three catches to pass Mark Simmons (155) to become the KU career receptions record holder. Briscoe has caught at least four passes in seven consecutive games and at least two in 22 straight.
- Meier needs 121 receiving yards to pass Bob Johnson (1,779) for sixth on the KU career receiving yardage list. He also can pass Mark Simmons to become the KU career receptions leader with five catches Saturday.
- Meier needs one more 100-yard receiving game to tie Willie Vaughn (eight) for second place on the KU all-time list of most 100-yard receiving games. Dezmon Briscoe leads with nine.
- Meier has caught at least four passes in seven straight games, at least two in 25 straight and at least one in 27 in a row.
- Reesing needs 85 passing yards to move ahead of six-time Heisman winner and the greatest player ever to strap on a Slaver helmet, Brad Smith, sixth on the Big 12 career passing yardage list.
- Reesing has thrown a touchdown pass in an NCAA active-player best 22 consecutive games.
- DE Jake Laptad has recorded a sack in all four games this year and five of his last six.
- So, why are they called the Iowa State Cyclones when their mascot is a cardinal? Originally, the Iowa Agricultural College teams were known as the Cardinals. On September 29th, 1895, the Cards went into Chicago and slapped around Northwestern, 36-0. An especially lively tornado season that summer and fall yielded the Chicago Tribune Sunday sports headline, "Struck by a Cyclone." The article went on to say, "Northwestern might as well have tried to play football with an Iowa cyclone as with the team it met yesterday." The name stuck.
- Celebrating birthdays on Saturday: Pro skateboarder Bob Burnquist (33); Dale Earnhart, Jr. (35); Brett Favre (62); Country Music legend Miss Tanya Tucker (51); Diamond Dave, David Lee Roth (54); actor and hoofer Ben Vereen (63); playwright Harold Pinter (79); Thelonius Monk (92); and bad film director Ed Wood (84).
News and Notes: KU vs. Iowa State
Phog.net Top Stories
KU offers ShropshireJayhawks dip back into Louisiana to offer 2018 wide receiver Trea Shropshire.
Phog.netTuesday at 9:29 PM
KU offers Alabama DTKansas jumps in with an offer to Alabama defensive tackle Timaje Porter.
Phog.netTuesday at 8:55 PM
Thompson adds Kansas offer2017 Highland DT Antar Thompson (6-5, 320) grabbed a Kansas offer earlier this week.
Phog.netTuesday at 7:58 PM