- Kansas (5-2 overall, 1-2 Big 12) will play their second straight ABC game against the Texas Tech Red Raiders (5-3, 2-2) in the garden spot of the southwest, Lubbock, Texas. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
- KU has fallen out of the top 25 for the first time this season. The Jayhawks had been ranked in 27 of the previous 33 AP polls.
- KU is looking to stop a two-game losing streak. The last time KU lost three in a row was on their way to losing four consecutive during the 2006 season. Since that streak, Kansas' record is 29-8.
- KU is 6-4 over their last 10 on the road, with the average margin of defeat being 7.75 points.
- This is the second of three trips to the Lone Star State for KU this year. Trips to El Paso and Lubbock will be followed up with a trip to Austin on November 21st.
- KU is 19-18 against the Big 12 North under the leadership of Mark Mangino and just 4-18 against the South.
- KU's next win will be their sixth, making the fifth straight season with six or more wins. That's only happened twice at KU (1895-1899 and 1902-1906).
- KU gained 337 yards of total offense against Oklahoma – 77 yards more than the Sooners were giving up per game. It was also KU's lowest offensive output in 38 games. Oklahoma now averages 264 total yards per game, which is good enough for 6th in the country.
- The schedule's getting uglier. KU's first six FBS opponents have a combined record of 23-31. Their last six have a combined record of 25-12.
- QB Todd Reesing is one of just four quarterbacks in the country to rank in the top five in both passing yards and total yards. He is also one of just five signal callers to have thrown for over 2,000 yards and run for 200 yards gross (does not count sacks).
- RB Toben Opurum ranks sixth among freshman in the NCAA in scoring and seventh in rushing.
- WRs Kerry Meier and Dezmon Briscoe are the only two teammates in the NCAA ranked in the top 10 in the same offensive category. Meier is second and Briscoe is tied for seventh in receptions per game.
- Texas Tech leads KU, 10-1, all-time, including 4-1 in Lubbock. KU's lone win in Lubbock was a 34-31 double-overtime win under Gameball.
- Last year, #6 Tech was just too much for the #19 Jayhawks in Lawrence, winning 63-21. Tech had 556 yards of total offense compared to just 315 for KU.
- Last time they played in Lubbock, Tech won 30-17 after jumping out to a 20-0 halftime lead. Our favorite Canadian, Jon Cornish, rushed for 111 yards. The potent two-headed quarterbacking monster of Brian Luke and Adam Barmann combined for 154 yards passing.
- With just 42 more receiving yards, Meier will become just the fourth Jayhawk in school history with 2,000 career receiving yards. One more TD catch and he will be tied for second on the school TD catch list (16).
- Reesing needs 218 more passing yards to become the fifth player in Big 12 history with over 10,000 passing yards. Thirty-two more completions will boost him past two-time Nobel Prize winner and Slaver Brad Smith for fifth on the conference career completions chart.
- Briscoe needs 189 more yards to break in the conference's top 10 for receiving yards, passing Kansas State's Jordy Nelson (2,822).
- Reesing had his NCAA-best 24 games with a TD pass streak stopped last Saturday.
- Despite playing their worst game of the year last week, KU is still #5 in the NCAA in passing yards per game (329.43) and total offense per game (475).
- After missing two FG attempts at UTEP, K Jacob Branstetter has made six straight, including a 57-yard career best to close out the first half last Saturday. It was also the second longest field goal in the country this season.
- Celebrity birthdays this Saturday include Beastie Boy Adam Horowitz (43); geek demigod Peter Jackson and U2 drummer Larry McMullen (48); comic legend John Candy (woulda been 59); David Ogden Steiers, best known as Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester III on M*A*S*H* (67); and formerly-respected-journalist-turned-sensationalist-media-hack Dan Rather (78).
News and Notes: KU vs. Texas Tech
Phog.net Top Stories
Jackson grabbing attentionFlorida athlete Jarrett Jackson breaks down his recent offers.
Phog.netMonday at 6:44 PM
Scout 100 Prospect Remains Pledged to KansasFRISCO, Texas -- Scout caught up with Scout 100 receiver and Kansas pledge Devonta Jason at Pylon 7v7 Nationals.
Scout FootballMonday at 4:20 PM
Henry on JayhawksTexas wide receiver Gerome Henry chats with Phog.net about his recent KU offer.
Phog.netMonday at 1:15 PM
Ceaser talks KU offerTexas defensive end Nelson Ceasar recaps his goals and recent offer from the Jayhawks.
Phog.netMonday at 11:53 AM