- The Jayhawks (5-6 overall, 1-6 Big 12) will head east to Arrowhead Stadium to take on the Missouri Slavers (7-4, 304) in the 118th edition of the Border War. ABC will put it on TV. Kickoff is at 2:30.
- KU and MU are meeting at Camarohead for the third straight season, splitting the previous two meetings. The two have played in Kansas City 23 times, however, with KU leading, 13-7-3, in those games.
- KU is 4-3 in neutral site games with Mark Mangino as head coach. Three of those were bowl wins, and the other was against the Slavers in the thrilling 40-37 win last season.
- Kansas has lost six in a row for the first time since they lost their last seven in 2002, Mark Mangino's first season as head coach.
- A win would give the Jayhawks six wins or more for five straight seasons. It's only happened twice in school history: 1895-99 and 1902-06.
- Fifteen seniors will be playing their final regular season game this Saturday. This senior class has posted a 31-17 record, the second-most wins be a four-year senior class in school history. They enjoyed consecutive bowl seasons for the first time in school history. Finally, they were members of the teams with the two best finishes in the Big 12 North, tying for first in 2007 and taking third in 2008.
- Mark Mangino will finish the 2009 season as the second-winningest coach in KU history with either 50 or 51 wins. A.R. Kennedy coach the Jayhawks to 52 wins against nine losses and four ties from 1904 to 1910.
- The only two teams who have played each other more times are Wisconsin and Minnesota, who have played each other 119 times.
- The Jayhawks and Slavers have met 90 consecutive years (from 1919 to the present) for the nation's 12th-longest uninterrupted series. The two played every year starting in 1891 but missed 1918 when KU had its season shortened by an influenza outbreak.
- KU leads the all-time series, 55-53-9, and has won four of the last six games between the two.
- KU won the first meeting, 21-8. It was Kansas' second year fielding a football team.
- This Jayhawks-Slavers game will be the 100th time in 118 meetings that the Border War has served as the regular season finale for both schools. That is the way God intends for it to be.
- RB Jake Sharp (2,210 career rushing yards) needs 36 rushing yards to take ninth place on the KU career rushing list and 39 more for eighth.
- WR Dez Briscoe needs just two receiving yards to hit the 3,000 yard mark for his career. He would be just the eighth player in Big 12 history to achieve that milestone.
- Briscoe needs 50 yards for the second-best season in school history (he already holds the number one spot with 1,407 last season). If he catches for 100 yards against the Slavers, he'll tie his own single-season mark of seven 100-yard receiving games.
- WR Kerry Meier needs 12 yards to pass Willie Vaughn (2,266) for second on the KU career yardage receiving yardage list behind teammate Dezmon Briscoe.
- Meier needs six catches to break his own single-season receptions record (97), set last season.
- Meier (16 TD catches) needs one more touchdown reception to tie for second on the KU career list behind Briscoe (29).
- A 200-yard passing game by QB Todd Reesing will tie his own season record of 11 set last season.
- KU's 293.3 passing yards per game are the second-highest average in school history, trailing last year's team (305.6).
- KU's offense is averaging 411 total yards per game, marking the third straight season for the Jayhawks to achieve over-400 yards a game and the sixth time in school history.
- Reesing's 47-yard pass to WR Jonathan Wilson last Saturday was KU's first play of 30 yards or more in four games. KU added two more plays of 30 or more last week.
- The Jayhawks have not scored in the first quarter in the last three games.
- KU has only scored one offensive TD from outside the red zone in the last five games.
- Texas ran 82 plays and racked up 522 yards of total offense against Kansas last week. That's the most yardage by KU since Oklahoma went for 674 last season.
- KU's defense has not intercepted a pass in three games and has forced only one fumble in that same span.
- Opponents have scored six TDs on plays of 20 or more yards in the last four games. Three of those were at Austin last Saturday.
- Celebrity birthdays Saturday: Anna Nicole Smith (42, if she was still breathing); Daily Show icon and stand-up Jon Stewart (47); Brat Pack charter member Judd Nelson (49); Musician, composer, bandleader and Canadian Paul Shaffer (60); and Oscar-winning composer and arranger Randy Newman (66).
News and Notes: KU vs. MU
Phog.net Top Stories
Big 12 Football Roundup: Week 3 Top StoriesAll you need to know about Big 12 teams leading into Week Three of the college football season.
Big 12 Recruiting Notebook (9/15/16)News, notes and recruiting scoop out of the Big 12...
Scout's Inside Recruiting ScoopSep. 14 -- What's the latest on the top recruits in the country? Scout's basketball recruiting team -- Evan Daniels, Brian Snow and Josh Gershon -- break down the latest, including…
Bruin Report Online09/14/2016
Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 2A look at the Big 12 Power Rankings after two weeks of play