KENTUCKY vs. WESTERN KENTUCKY
Saturday, 7 p.m. ET
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY
Record: 1-1, 0-0 SEC
Ranking: Not ranked
Last game: W, 47-14 vs. Kent State (H)
Coach: Joker Phillips (Kentucky, 1986)
Record: 12-15 (Third season)
at UK: 12-15 (Third season)
vs. WKU: 1-0
Series Record vs. Western Kentucky:
Overall: UK leads, 3-0 (Cats won 14-3 last year in Nashville, Tenn.)
at Lexington: UK leads, 2-0
WESTERN KENTUCKY HILLTOPPERS:
Record: 1-1, 0-0 Sun Belt
Ranking: Not ranked
Last game: L, 0-35 at #1 Alabama (A)
Coach: Willie Taggart (WKU, 1998)
Record: 10-16 (Third season)
at WKU: 10-16 (Third season)
vs. UK 0-1
9/02 at #25 Louisville (ESPN) L, 14-32
9/08 KENT STATE (CSS) W, 47-14
WESTERN KENTUCKY RESULTS:
09/01 Austin Peay W, 49-10
09/08 at #1 Alabama L, 0-35
TV • ESPNU
Play-by-Play Clay Matvick
Analyst Matt Stinchcomb
Sideline Allison Williams
RADIO • UK IMG SPORTS NETWORK
Play-by-Play Tom Leach
Analyst Jeff Van Note
Sideline Dick Gabriel
Channel 94 – Sirius
INTERNET STREAM • www.UKathletics.com
WHEN UK HAS THE BALL: The Cats rolled up 539 total yards and their best passing effort (354) since the 2007 season last week in a 47-14 win over Kent State. Sophomore quarterback Maxwell Smith has completed 73 percent of his passes this season and hit 11 and 10 different receiving targets in UK's first two games. A big part of that success has been the protection Smith has received from the offensive line. The Cats have taken only three sacks on the season. Last week against Alabama, the Hilltopper defense recorded six sacks, so that will be an important matchup to watch in this game. Keep an eye on WKU defensive end Quanterus Smith, who has three sacks on the young season, in his matchups with UK tackles Darrian Miller and Kevin Mitchell.
WHEN WKU HAS THE BALL: The Hilltoppers come from the Harbaugh football family tree, which means they like to line up and challenge you with a downhill rushing attack. WKU backs Antonio Andrews and Leon Allen are both averaging more than 5 yards per carry this season.
The Cats have been susceptible to the run in their first two games, allowing an average of 200.5 yards per game and 4.8 yards per carry. The UK front seven, anchored by veteran defensive tackles Mister Cobble and Donte Rumph, must be prepared for a physical challenge.
• Wide receiver La'Rod King needs just one reception to become the 13th player in UK history to reach the 100-catch mark. He also has 1,348 career receiving yards and needs 69 more to tie Jacob Tamme for 12th place on the UK career list. The senior from Radcliff, Ky., needs one more TD reception (16) to move into sole possession of sixth on UK's career list.
• The Cats are in their 40th season at Commonwealth Stadium. UK holds a 135-111-4 record and a .548 winning percentage on its home field.
• UK is looking for its fourth consecutive win at Commonwealth Stadium after defeating Ole Miss and Tennessee last season in its final two home games and Kent State in this season's home opener.
• Saturday is the annual UK Athletics Hall of Fame Weekend as Kentucky will honor six former greats during halftime, including former football standout Derek Abney (2000-03).
• Kentucky ranks in the top 30 of four national statistical categories, including third in net punting (48.8), 18th in passing offense (317.0), tied for 22nd in kickoff returns (26.67) and 29th in pass efficiency (153.37).
CAT WALK: Fans wishing to participate in the "Cat Walk," greeting the players when they enter Commonwealth Stadium, should be at Gate 1 of the stadium, next to the Nutter Field House, at 4:45 p.m. ET.
Gameday: UK vs. WKU
AllWildcats Top Stories
VIDEO: Johnson Wins In First Start at QBKentucky quarterback Stephen Johnson II talks about leading the Cats to a 17-10 victory over South Carolina in his first collegiate start.
AllWildcatsYesterday at 11:00 PM
RECAP: Kentucky 17, South Carolina 10LEXINGTON, Ky. -- In what may have been the most important game of Mark Stoops' tenure at Kentucky, the Wildcats delivered a performance Saturday night against South Carolina that…
AllWildcatsYesterday at 8:01 PM
GALLERY: Kentucky vs. South CarolinaKentucky earned a hard-fought 17-10 win over South Carolina on Saturday night at Commonwealth Stadium. This AW photo gallery features several images from the Cats' third…
VIDEO: DJ Eliot Proud of Defensive ShowingKentucky delivered its best defensive performance of the season on Saturday in a 17-10 win over South Carolina.
AllWildcatsYesterday at 11:30 PM
VIDEO: Boom Williams Talks Win Over SCKentucky junior tailback Boom Williams recorded his ninth career 100-yard rushing game on Saturday in the Cats' 17-10 win over South Carolina.
AllWildcatsYesterday at 10:40 PM