The No. 3 Gators (22-2, 11-0 SEC) come to Lexington riding a 16-game win streak and have yet to suffer a loss in conference play. Billy Donovan's club has a two-game lead on the No. 14 Wildcats (19-5, 9-2) in the league standings, but if UK can find a way to extend its Rupp Arena win streak to 23 games, the race suddenly gets very interesting.
"This game will tell us where we are," UK coach John Calipari said. "And I would imagine they're coming in not to just win, they want to smash."
The matchup will feature Kentucky's freshman-dominated lineup versus Florida's senior-laden squad. The Wildcats are expected to start five freshmen, while the Gators will likely have four seniors on the floor when the game tips off.
"This team could be the No. 1 team in the country, and they got all seniors," Calipari said.
Florida coach Billy Donovan countered with some praise of his own for the Wildcats, calling them "the most talented team in the country" from top to bottom.
A quick glance at each team going into the game:
Record: 22-2, 11-0 in SEC
Rankings: No. 3 (AP)/No. 4 (Coaches)
Last Game: Defeated Tennessee, 67-58
Head Coach: Billy Donovan
Overall On-Court Record: 472-188 (.715)
at Florida: 437-168 (.722)
Last Five Games: 5-0
Donovan vs. Kentucky: 14-26
Last Meeting: Kentucky, 61-57 (March 9, 2013)
Record: 19-5, 9-2 in SEC
Rankings: No. 14 (AP)/No. 13 (Coaches)
Last Game: Defeated Auburn, 64-56
Head Coach: John Calipari
Overall On-Court Record: 587-171 (.774)
at UK: 142-31 (.821)
Last Five Games: 4-1
Calipari vs. Florida: 9-2
All-Time Series: UK leads 94-34
FLORIDA PROBABLE STARTERS:
# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. P/RPG>
15 Will Yeguete F 6-8 230 Sr. 5.5/5.3
24 Casey Prather F 6-6 212 Sr. 15.3/5.3
4 Patric Young C 6-9 240 Sr. 10.5/6.4
5 Scottie Wilbekin G 6-2 176 Sr. 13.0/3.7a
20 Michael Frazier II G 6-4 199 So. 12.6/3.4
KENTUCKY PROBABLE STARTERS:
# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. P/RPG
30 Julius Randle F 6-9 250 Fr. 15.8/9.9
44 Dakari Johnson C 7-0 265 Fr. 4.8/3.6
1 James Young G 6-6 215 Fr. 14.1/4.3
2 Aaron Harrison G 6-6 218 Fr. 13.8/3.2
5 Andrew Harrison G 6-6 215 Fr. 11.0/3.5a
• Kentucky is just one win shy of recording the 58th 20-win season in program history.
• Florida is one shy of tying the school record for longest winning streak (17) in program history.
• Kentucky is 48-8 against Florida in Rupp Arena. Billy Donovan is 3-14 against UK at the venue. The last Gators win in Lexington was in 2007.
• The Wildcats are 81-2 under John Calipari at Rupp Arena, the lone losses coming to Texas A&M and Baylor.
• Following Tuesday's win at Tennessee, the Gators will be attempting to win in Knoxville and Lexington in the same season for just the third time in program history (1985 and 1988).
• UK freshman forward Julius Randle has 12 double-doubles this season. With one more, he'll tie Cotton Nash and Terrence Jones (who both had 13 in two different seasons) on the school's all-time, single-season list. Dan Issel holds the record with 25 in 1970.
Join us for discussion of today's game on our basketball forum, linked below: