LEXINGTON, Ky. --- Another player has been added to Kentucky's list of question marks for Saturday's season opener against Louisville.
Aaron Boone, a junior wide receiver, is the 10th player the school has ruled ineligible as it continues to await reinstatement rulings from the NCAA. None of the players' names have been released by the school, but in a document obtained by the Louisville Courier-Journal through the state's Open Records Law, the latest report from UK to the NCAA lists a junior college player who had received improper phone calls from former UK recruiting coordinator Claude Bassett.
Boone, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound All-American from Snow College in Utah, was the only junior college player UK signed last year.
Sandy Bell told the C-J the violation was "secondary" in nature, involving more than one call per week from Bassett to the recruit during a time period when only one call per week is permitted.
Kentucky has yet to hear from the NCAA regarding the fate of the ineligible players. Coach Guy Morriss sounded extremely confident when practice opened that all of the players would be reinstated, but has taken a less optimistic tone as the days go by.
''I wish I knew,'' he said. ''We still have no word from the NCAA... It seems like it keeps getting pushed back and pushed back. Believe me, as soon as I know you'll know because we'd like to find out.''
In UK's letter obtained by the C-J, the school claims the players were misled by Bassett and their high school coaches that the benefits or services they received were allowed as part of their scholarships.
Kentucky compliance director Sandy Bell writes: ''These young men had no idea that any impermissible benefits were provided to them and . . . those benefits had no effect whatsoever on their decision to attend UK. . . . Facing these young men each day and seeing the disillusionment this entire situation has created has convinced me beyond any doubt that they have already been punished enough for events that were not within their control.''