UK-UT: Quarterly Report

Here's a quarter-by-quarter look at Saturday's Tennessee-Kentucky football game.


RECAP: Kentucky took the opening kickoff and marched from its 30-yard line to the Vol 27, where a 45-yard Taylor Begley field goal produced a 3-0 lead with 12:11 left in the period. The big play on the drive was a 34-yard run on a flanker reverse by Glenn Holt that carried from UK's 33 to the Vol 33. Tennessee took the ensuing kickoff and marched 78 yards in 13 plays. The big plays were an 11-yard pass from Rick Clausen to Chris Brown, a 17-yarder to Bret Smith and an 18-yarder to Tony Brown that carried to the UK 1-yard line. Clausen sneaked over from there, giving Tennessee a 7-3 lead with 6:55 left in the period. Clausen was razor sharp, completing four of six passes with the other two dropped. Kentucky retaliated on its next possession, going 91 yards in nine plays. The big plays were a 41-yard pass from Shane Boyd to Scott Mitchell and a 20-yard TD strike to a wide, wide, wide open Jacob Tamme. Begley's PAT made it 10-7, Kentucky, with 2:04 left in the quarter. A questionable roughing-the-passer penalty against Vol linebacker Jason Mitchell sustained the drive.

KEY PLAY: The roughing-the-passer penalty against Mitchell. It turned what would've been a fourth-and-six at the Vol 35-yard line into a crucial first down. UK scored its TD two plays later.

KEY PLAYER: Shane Boyd. He had completed just 51 percent of his passes coming but he picked apart UT's secondary in the first period, completing 6 of 8 throws for 76 yards and a touchdown.

KEY STAT: A Kentucky offense that ranked 115th in the NCAA out of 117 programs piled up 140 yards of total offense on just 16 plays. The 10 points represented UK's highest-scoring first period of the season.


RECAP: Continuing a drive begun late in the first period, Boyd hit Scott Mitchell with a 21-yard pass. The Cats eventually faced a fourth-and-two at the Vol 4-yard line. A fake field goal was stuffed for a one-yard loss by Kevin Burnett, and a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on UK (Maurice Marchman spiked the ball in anger) gave Tennessee the ball at its 20-yard line. A third-and-12 pass by Clausen was batted by Raymond Fontaine and intercepted by Ricky Abren, who rumbled six yards for a score that put UK on top 17-7. Tennessee zoomed 80 yards in eight plays on the ensuing possession to pull within 17-13. The big plays were a 10-yard run by Cedric Houston, a 10-yard pass to Chris Hannon, a 13-yard burst by Houston and a 22-yard TD run by fullback Cory Anderson on his first carry of the season. Wilhoit's PAT was blocked, leaving the score UK 17, UT 13 with 7:56 left to halftime. Aided by false start and illegal motion penalties against UK, Tennessee's defense finally forced a punt. Taking over at their own 41, the Vols gained 35 yards on a pass from Clausen to Robert Meachem. Gerald Riggs ran for gains of 7 and 6 yards but the drive stalled and Wilhoit kicked a 24-yard field goal that narrowed the gap to 17-16 with 3:45 left in the period. Kentucky quickly retaliated, driving 77 yards in 11 plays. After an incompletion, Boyd shredded UT's pass defense, hitting nine consecutive passes. The big only pass that gained more than 11 yards was the last one, a 16-yard TD strike to Jacob Tamme with just 46 seconds left in the half. Incredibly, Tennessee drove 80 yards in the next 40 seconds. After handing to Houston for 11 yards, Clausen hit Houston for 7 and 9 yards, then threw a 33-yarder to C.J. Fayton, who made a spectacular diving, juggling catch at the UK 20-yard line. Clausen then hit Robert Meachem with a 20-yard touchdown strike, narrowing the gap to 24-22 with 0:06 left to halftime. A two-point conversion run by Houston was stopped short, and the Cats went to halftime leading 24-22.

KEY PLAY: The TD throw to Meachem just before halftime. That breathed life into the crowd and kept the Vols from going to the locker room with an eight-point deficit on their home field against a 2-8 opponent that hasn't beaten them since 1984.

KEY PLAYER: Boyd (again). He was 11 of 15 in the quarter for 112 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed three times for 15 yards.

KEY STAT: Tennessee piled up 22 points, 17 first downs and 293 yards of total offense in the first half, yet trailed 24-22 because of defensive breakdowns and Abren's intercpetion return.


RECAP: After a typically lousy kickoff return, Tennessee opened its first possession of the second half at its 11-yard line. A 19-yard pass/run play to Houston and an 18-yard toss from Clausen to Jayson Swain (who dropped two first-half passes) got the ball to midfield. A 26-yard run by Houston helped move the ball to the 1-yard line. Jabari Davis was stopped in his tracks on a third-and-goal at the 1, however, then Wilhoit's 18-yard field goal try was blocked by Lonnell Dewalt, a 6-foot-6 freshman who earlier blocked the PAT attempt. Dewalt has blocked seven kicks this season. Kentucky continued to toy with Tennessee's defense, marching 80 yards in 11 plays to widen its lead to 31-22. The big plays were a 15-yard pass from Boyd to Mitchell and a 12-yard Boyd scramble to the Vol 2-yard line. The UK quarterback scored on a one-yard sneak two plays later. Tennessee was driving as the quarter ended, Clauen hitting Bret Smith for 23 yards and Robert Meachem for 14 to the UK 15-yard line.

KEY PLAY: On second-and-12 at the Vol 14-yard line, Boyd had no receivers open (for once). He scrambled for 12 yards, however, giving his team a first-and-goal at the Vol 2-yard line. The Cats scored two plays later, padding their lead to nine points.

KEY PLAYER: Dewalt. His blocked kick kept Tennessee from taking a 25-24 lead and seemed to deflate the Vols a bit.

KEY STAT: UT outained UK 145-68 yards during the quarter but, incredibly, was outscored 7-0.

4th RECAP: Tennessee reached the UK 8-yard line early in the period but a fourth-and-three pass to C.J. Fayton was stopped a yard short and UK took over on downs. After a three-and-out -- Kentucky's first of the game -- Tennessee bolted 65 yards in three plays for a touchdown. The big play was the first one. Clausen lateralled to Fayton (a former quarterback), who lofted a 53-yard flanker pass to Meachem. A 12-yard TD pass to Tony Brown moments later narrowed the gap to 31-29 with 9:39 to go. After another three-and-out, Tennessee got the ball back. Unfortunately for the Vols, a block-in-the-back penalty on the punt return forced them to start at their 6-yard line. Clausen hit Meachem for 23 yards to open the possession but Karl Booker intercepted a Clausen pass over the middle at the Wildcat 48-yard line to snuff the drive. After a third consecutive three-and-out by UK, Tennessee got the ball back at its 40-yard line with 3:31 to go. A swing pass to Riggs gained 15 yards and a 13-yard toss to Tony Brown moved the ball to UK's 20. Moments later, on third-and-two at the UK 12-yard line, Riggs burst up the middle for the touchdown. A two-point conversion run by Houston gave Tennessee a 37-31 lead with 38 seconds left. Corey Campbell intercepted a Boyd bomb at the UT 28-yard line to snuff Kentucky's final threat.

KEY PLAY: Riggs' run. It gave Tennessee its first lead since 7-3.

KEY PLAYER: Riggs. He ran three times for 21 yards and caught a 15-yard pass on UT's game-winning drive.

KEY STAT: After being riddled for three quarters, Tennessee's defense ended the game with three three-and-outs and an interception. Clausen finished 26 of 41 for 349 yards and UT gained 606 yards of total offense.

AllWildcats Top Stories