The Kentucky Wildcats have been feeling the pressure.
We definitely have to make our move
tomorrow and get on a roll, Randolph Morris stated on Monday. Its now or never. The clock is running out.
The team watched as they fell out of the top 25
rankings and dropped off of the basketball experts radars over the past few weeks. They knew that the upcoming game against
Its time for us to improve as a
basketball team, Ramel Bradley said. Come
in and get wins and get something to build on.
The Wildcats and Bulldogs were deadlocked in the
first half. Once again,
The Wildcats, whose offense had been stagnant
during their three game skid, combined to shoot 56% for the game on 28-50 shooting. They continued to struggle from the three-point
line, shooting only 29%, but crashed the boards effectively and got 18 second chance
points to help lift them to victory.
Tubby Smith noted that his team was beginning to
lose confidence before Tuesdays contest. Im
more concerned with where we are on our psychological approach and preparation for this
game. It has even gotten to the point
where Coach Smith brought in a sports psychiatrist to talk to his players.
With their 14 point victory over
I think this was a stepping stone for us,
Bradley said after the game. If we
continue to play the way we did tonight, I think we will be fine.
Rekalin Sims did not see action due to a back injury.
* Kentucky moves to 11-6 overall, 1-2 in the Southeastern
Conference. Georgia falls to 11-6, 1-3 in the SEC.
* Kentucky leads the series 105-21 and has won four in a row. Overall, UK owns a 35-14 advantage in Athens.
* The Wildcats return to action against South Carolina in Rupp Arena Saturday, Jan. 21 at 1 p.m. The game will be televised by JP Sports.
Team game notes
* The Wildcats shot 56.0% for the game, its highest shooting percentage of the year. UK was 28-for-50 from the floor.
* Kentucky won the battle of the boards, 41-23. The Wildcats are 9-3 when outrebounding their opponent this year. UK's +18 boards were its second highest margin all season.
* The Wildcats used their seventh starting lineup of the season, with Rajon Rondo, Patrick Sparks, Joe Crawford, Sheray Thomas and Randolph Morris earning the nod. It was Crawford's 10th start of the year and his seventh in the last eight games.
* Kentucky led 35-32 at halftime. The Wildcats are 9-1 this season when leading at the half. Guard Ramel Bradley had 11 first-half points to lead UK.
Individual game notes
* Randolph Morris led four Kentucky players in double figures with 14 points. It was the first time four Wildcats scored in double figures for the first time since Georgia State on Dec. 6 in Atlanta.
* Morris has scored double-figure points in each of his three games since returning to the team a week ago.
* Patrick Sparks finished with 12 points, his most since a 13-point effort against High Point on Nov. 29. Sparks added six assists and five rebounds in 31 minutes.
* Ramel Bradley recorded 13 points in 15 minutes off the bench.
* Sheray Thomas led the Wildcats' rebounding effort with seven rebounds, tying his career best.