Mr. Mitch Barnhart
RE: Offer of Employment
extremely pleased to offer you the position of Athletics Director at the
1. The initial term of the Contract shall be for a period of 7 years. After three years of successful performance, we will negotiate a term that would "roll" forward so that the contract would have a constant term of 5 years, unless notice is given that the contract would no longer thereafter "roll."
2. The annual
base salary will be $275,000.00 per contract year. In addition, for the
employee's participation in
3. Your annual salary will be increased in each fiscal year with the following additional performance-based incentives, not to exceed $150,000.00 in any fiscal year:
• If the men's football team plays in a post-season Bowl Championship Series bowl game sanctioned by the NCAA, the employee will receive a payment of $100,000.00 or if the men's football team plays in a post-season bowl game sanctioned by the NCAA other than a Bowl Championship Series bowl game, the employee will receive a payment of $30,000.00.
• If either the women's basketball team plays in the post-season NCAA Women's Basketball National Championship Tournament or the men's basketball team plays in the post-season NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Tournament, the employee will receive a payment of $25,000.00. If either the women's or men's basketball team plays in the NCAA Final Four tournament, the employee will receive an additional payment of $25,000.00.
• If any other sport appears in the NCAA Championship tournament or equivalent competition for that sport, the employee will receive a payment of $5,000.00 and an additional $5,000.00 for each national championship obtained.
• Other incentives relating to precisely defined goals established through your and the President's mutual agreement each year for the following year, related to strategic objectives to be obtained in that year, which can amount up to $50,000.00 of this total incentive package.
Incentives will not be paid under certain conditions, including in any given year where significant NCAA violations have occurred in that particular sport or if the University is on probation for violations occurring during your tenure.
University will provide a "longevity incentive" that will be set aside in the
amount of $30,000.00 annually. The contract will specify the timing of
withdrawal opportunities, which would not begin before
5. The contract will provide that premature termination of the contract by either party without cause will result in a payment to the non-terminating party in the amount equal to base salary plus the amount stated in the contract for compensation for participation in UK sports radio and television programs and other athletic endorsement programs the remaining term of the contract.
6. In consideration that you are required to pay the amount of $100,000.00 to your current employer, the University or its Athletics Association will, subject to IRS requirements, make available that sum to you as a loan, and will forgive one fifth of the loan in each of the next five years, provided that you remain employed as Athletics Director.
AllWildcats Top Stories
McWilson Talks Big Plays, Big Win for CatsKentucky senior safety Marcus McWilson made the biggest play of his career with the Wildcats on Saturday, picking off a fourth-quarter pass and returning it 45 yards for a…
MacGinnis on Being UK HeroJunior kicker Austin MacGinnis gave Kentucky a 40-38 win over Mississippi State with his 51-yard field goal as time expired on Saturday night at Commonwealth Stadium.
Mark Stoops on Cats' Rally Over MSUKentucky head coach Mark Stoops met with the media after the Wildcats defeated Mississippi State on Saturday night at Commonwealth Stadium.
RECAP: Kentucky 40, Mississippi State 38LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The Kentucky Wildcats' affinity for drama was taken to the extreme Saturday night against Mississippi State.