Burton remains undecided

Keenan Burton's father isn't even sure what his son is going to do next season. The Kentucky receiver met with coach Rich Brooks Saturday to discuss either putting his name into the NFL draft or returning to Kentucky for his senior season.

Keenan Burton's father isn't even sure what his son is going to do next season.

The Kentucky receiver met with coach Rich Brooks Saturday to discuss either putting his name into the NFL draft or returning to Kentucky for his senior season.

"We met with coach Brooks and talked over some things about coming out for the draft and what could happen next year at Kentucky," said Ed Burton, Keenan's father. "He is still undecided about what to do. He hasn't even told me anything.

"If he wants to tell me, I just let him explain it the way he wants. There is so much pressure on him right now. He just wants to look at his options. A lot of people want to rush him, but he is still thinking about the friends he plays with as well as injuries. I just told him to pray about it and I would support him no matter what."

Burton has talked to his long-time friend, Louisville running back Michael Bush who announced Tuesday that he would forego his senior season to enter the draft.

"That might weigh on his mind. Him and Mike have talked back and forth. He has given Keenan his views, but not to the point he can change Keenan's mind about anything," Ed Burton said. "When Keenan came to Kentucky, he asked what I thought and I told him to do what he wanted. It's the same here. I don't know how to figure it out. I wish I did."

Keenan Burton only needs nine hours to complete his degree, which could be another factor in his decision.

He likely will make a decision by Friday and a news conference is possible then. The deadline for telling the NFL about his intentions is Monday, but by announcing Friday he would be able to take advantage of the 72-hour time frame to change his mind if he wanted. If he waits and makes a decision Monday at the deadline, he would have no margin to change his mind.

"If you have an agent or say you are going on the 15th (Monday), then you have to go," Ed Burton said. "That's why the NFL really wants to know by Friday so a player will have time to change his mind."

Ed Burton says his son cannot make a bad decision.

"You are talking about earning money or finishing an education. He will get his education because his mother and I will demand that no matter what. But when he makes his decision, I will be there to support him. As to what that decision will be, I just really don't know, and I don't think he does yet, either," Ed Burton said.

AllWildcats Top Stories