Tide Stops Wildcat Win Streak.

Kentucky fell to defeat for the first time this season at the hands of the Crimson Tide. KSR was on hand in Tuscaloosa for the action.

Tuscaloosa, Al - Kentucky (4-1) came into today's game as a heavy underdog. After coming off a big win in Athens, over the Georgia Bulldogs, Alabama (6-0) was favored by 16 1/2 points over the Wildcats. After a big play early on, it appeared that the Wildcats would be another in a line of opponents who were thrashed by the Crimson Tide early on.

On the second possession of the game, running back Glen Coffey took a hand off at the 22 yard line and raced to the endzone for the first score of the game. Coffey ended the game with 215 yards on 25 carries.

Later in the first half, Wildcat quarterback Mike Hartline fumbled the ball at the five yard line where linebacker Rolando McClain recovered it and took it in for a touchdown. That touchdown gave the Tide a 14 point margin at the end of the first quarter.

Neither team managed a 2nd quarter score. Alabama got as close at the five yard line when Glen Coffey coughed up the ball after a Braxton Kelley hit. Corner Robbie McAtee recovered the fumble, one of two lost by the Tide on the day.

After maintaining the stalemate, Kentucky finally got a little offense going. After only gaining only 60 total yards in the first half, Mike Hartline led the Wildcats on a two play 70 yard touchdown drive. Kentucky picked up some help from the officials when Alabama defensive back Rashad Johnson was called for pass interference. On the next play, Locke caught a Hartline pass and ran for 36 yards, down to the 26 yard line. Hartline threw his first touchdown of the day when Dicky Lyons caught a pass across the middle and took it the rest of the way to the endzone.

Kentucky's defense continued to carry the Wildcats through the end of the quarter and into the fourth quarter. The Wildcats trailed by one touchdown going into the quarter. Alabama kicker Lee Tiffin missed a 41 yard field goal, and gave the Wildcats possession of the ball at the 24 yard line.

But the Kentucky offense could only manage 21 yards and were forced to punt. Alabama got the ball with 10 minutes and 22 seconds and ate up 8 minutes and 10 seconds, mostly on Glen Coffey carries. The Tide drive stuttered late in the drive and Kentucky forced them to attempt a field goal, which Lee Tiffin completed from 24 yards out.

After working the middle of the field for most of the possession, Hartline found Demorio Ford for a 48 yard touchdown up the right side of the field with under a minute to go in the game. A Lonas Seiber extra point made it a three point game.

The Cats attempted an onside kick, but it was unsuccessful when Seiber kicked the ball out of bounds. Alabama took the ball and took a knee to run out the clock.

Quarterback Michael Hartline managed to go 20 of 42 and 2 touchdowns and only one interception. He also had a fumble. Running back Derrick Locke had on 28 yards on 6 carries, but caught 8 passes for 81 yards to lead the Wildcat in both categories. On defense, Braxton Kelley had 13 tackles to lead the way, along with Johnny Williams strong effort with 8 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks. The Wildcats defense held Alabama to only one offensive touchdown on the day.

Kentucky returns to action next week at 12:30 eastern in Lexington against South Carolina.

AllWildcats Top Stories