KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Final Score: Kentucky 31, Louisville 27
September 19, 2009 * Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, Ky.
Team Records and Series Notes
* Kentucky is 2-0 on the season. Louisville is 1-1.
* Kentucky won its fourth-consecutive home opener.
* Kentucky leads the series 13-9. The Wildcats have won three in a row vs. Louisville.
* Kentucky is now 50-29-5 vs. teams from the current alignment of the Big East Conference.
* Kentucky has won 16 consecutive non-conference games, the longest since a 17-game streak from 1954-60.
* Kentucky returns to action at home vs. Florida on Sat. Sept. 26 at 6 p.m. on ESPN2.
UK Team Notes
* Kentucky is 13-7 in the last 20 games decided by 10 or fewer points.
* Kentucky is 10-4 in the last 14 games decided by six points or less.
* Kentucky has won 22 of its last 34 games, with 10 of those wins coming as fourth-quarter comebacks.
* Kentucky outrushed Louisville 168-to-133 yards. The team with the most rushing yards has won the Governor?s Cup for 14 straight years.
* Derrick Locke?s 100-yard kickoff return for a TD was the first UK kickoff return for a TD since David Jones returned the opening kickoff of the second half vs. East Carolina in the Liberty Bowl on Jan. 2, 2009.
* Through two games, Kentucky has yet to allow a sack.
* 1st Quarter Summary
· UK?s Lones Seiber made a 26-yard field goal attempt (9:34) UK 3, UL 0
· UL?s Victor Anderson rushed for a 6-yard touchdown (5:37) UL 7, UK 3
· UK?s Derrick Locke returns the kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown (5:23) UK 10, UL 7
· It was the second career 100-yard kickoff return for Locke.
* 2nd Quarter Summary
· Kentucky stopped Louisville on 4th and 1 at the UK 12 yard line.
· UK?s John Conner rushed for a 2-yard touchdown (2:47) UK 17, UL 7
· Conner setup the touchdown with a 23-yard run to the UL 2.
· Time expires with Kentucky at the UL 10-yard line
* 3rd Quarter Summary
· Louisville opened the quarter with a 23-yard field goal by Ryan Payne (11:29) UK 17, UL 10
· UL?s Ryan Payne missed a 28-yard field goal off the right upright (9:53)
· After an interception by Louisville?s Johnny Patrick, Louisville hit a 42-yard field goal by Ryan Payne (4:58) UK 17, UL 13
· UK only held the ball for four plays in the quarter.
* 4th Quarter Summary
· UL QB Justin Burke connected with Cameron Graham for 5-yard touchdown to open the fourth quarter (14:16) UL 20, UK 17
· UK?s Derrick Locke rushes for a 2-yard touchdown (8:55) UK 24, UL 20
· It was Locke?s second rushing TD of the season and the eighth of his career.
· UL QB Justin Burke connected with Trent Guy for a 66-yard touchdown (7:49) UL 27, UK 24
· UK?s A.J. Nance recovered a fumble on a muffed punt return by UL?s Trent Guy at the UL 24-yard line.
· UK QB Mike Hartline threw a 12-yard touchdown strike to Randall Cobb(4:28) UK 31, UL 27
· Just inside two minutes remaining, UK?s Sam Maxwell, intercepted UL QB Justin Burke?s tipped pass by UK?s Corey Peters, returning it 17 yards.
· UK?s Sam Maxwell broke up the final pass from UL QB Justin Burke inside the UK 5-yard line at the end of regulation.
UK Individual Notes
* RB Derrick Locke became the first UK player to return two kickoffs for 100-yard touchdowns in a career.
* Locke broke the UK record for most kickoff return yards in a game with four returns for 191 yards. The previous record was 185 yards by Keenan Burton vs. Louisville, Sept. 3, 2006.
* Locke rushed 15 times for 72 yards. He rushed for his second touchdown of the season and eighth of his career.
* Locke?s 72 yards are the most since running for 96 against Norfolk State (9/6/08) and his 15 carries are his most since rushing the ball 15 times against South Carolina (10/11/08).
* Locke has 957 career rushing yards and needs 43 yards for 1,000.
* Kicker Lones Seiber scored seven points today with a 36-yard field goal with 4 PATs and now has 245 career points. He needs one more point to tie the UK career scoring record (Joey Worley, 246).
* Seiber kicked four extra points to break Seth Hanson?s (127) UK career extra point mark with 128.
* LB Micah Johnson posted a team-high 12 tackles and needs four more to reach 200 in his career. It marked his fourth career game with double-figure tackles.
* WR Matt Roark earned his second and third career receptions, both good for first downs and 15 total yards.
* DE DeQuin Evans earned his first career sacks, totaling two for a loss of 19 yards.
* WR Randall Cobb?s game-winning touchdown reception in the fourth quarter gave him a scoring grab for the second consecutive game to open the season.
* WR Chris Matthews hauled in a career-high six receptions for 34 yards.
* FB John Conner opened his 2009 season with a touchdown on three carries for 28 yards against UL after being held out of the season opener against Miami (Ohio). It marked his third rushing TD of his career.
Governor's Cup Records:
* Derrick Locke became the fourth player in the Governor's Cup race to return a kickoff 100 yards for a kickoff. He joined Broderick Clark (UL, 2002), Keenan Burton (UK, 2006) and Trent Guy (UL, 2007)
* Locke broke the Governor's Cup record for most kickoff return yards in a game with four returns for 191 yards. The previous record was 150 yards by UL's Trent Guy in 2007.
* Kentucky tied the Governor?s Cup record for fewest penalties with three. Kentucky in 1994 and 2005 along with Louisville in 2006 also committed only three penalties.
UK-UL Post Game Notes
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES