2. Phillips was pleased that E.J. Fields and Aaron Boyd both made big catches along with redshirt freshman Brian Adams. He also liked the "tenacious" blocking of receiver Chris Matthews and running by redshirt freshman Jonathan George. "I hated to see Jon put one on the ground (fumble), but he's making plays. Donald (Russell) has to get healthy and get on the field more so he can compete with him (for playing time)," Phillips said.
4. Phillips liked the way junior college transferJosh Gibbs and redshirt freshman Dakota Tyler made plays at safety. Both had interceptions. Did not like the overall play of Winston Guy, who missed a tackle George broke for a score, blew a coverage on cobb that went for a score and was benched at the end of the scrimmage. "Great defenses have great safety play," Phillips said.
5. Defensive tackle Mark Crawford, who has seemed to be in coach David Turner's doghouse all spring, drew praise from Phillps. "Our defense was not flying to the ball. I was trying to find out who wanted to be a leader. Mark Crawford was trying. The guys you expect like Danny Trevathan have got to do that, but at least Mark was trying," Phillips said.
6. Running back coach Larry Brinson was all over Jonathan George after Gibbs' pick of Mossakowski. "You caused that interception. He had to try and force the ball in because you went the wrong way," Brinson said.
7. When Aaron Boyd caught a TD pass, Chris Matthews and Randall Cobb were the first on the field to congratulate him. Family reasons prevent me from repeating exactly what Matthews told him in a loving way.
8. After George had a 73 yard scoring run, former UK running back Alfonso Smith sprinted to see him. "That's what I like to see," Smith said.
9. After Brian Adams made a long TD catch-run, coach Tee Martin joked, "Freshmen cannot be tired." Adams told him he had asthma. Cobb and Matthews laughed and called for an inhaler.
10. Anthony Mosley took a ball away from King for a nifty interception and also made several nice tackles