ULM Rolls At Home 37-15

At noon today both the ULM Warhawks and the Alabama A&M bulldogs found out they would be kicking off in 7 hours. Hurricane Ike forced the teams to play the game a day early due to potential severe weather conditions. ULM would break open a 21-13 halftime score and win this one going away 37-15.

It's tough when you really don't know when or if you will play a football game. Both ULM and Alabama A&M had about 7 hours to get in game mode as Saturday's game was moved to tonight due to Hurricane Ike.

ULM wasted no time out of the gate as they moved the ball down the field with ease and scored when Kinsmon Lancaster threaded a bullet into Darrell McNeal from 17 yards out. It was McNeal's first touchdown grab of the season and would be the beginning of a big night for the Junior from Neville high school.

The Bulldogs wouldn't have much luck on their first possession but would the second time around. Facing 3rd and 14 from the ULM 40 yard line, Kevin Atkins completed a screen pass to Ulysses Banks for 27 yards to the ULM 13 yard line. The bulldogs would move the ball down to the ULM 4 yard line where they faced a 3rd and 1. Ulysses Banks took the hand off and looked as if he would walk into the end zone but was met by Warhawks safety Josh Thompson.

Thompson blasted Banks forcing the ball to come lose and ULM would recover on the one yard line. Banks would miss the next two series with a right elbow injury but would return briefly late in the 2nd quarter.

ULM quarterback Kinsmon Lancaster had a flawless night throwing and running but it was a heads up play on 3rd and 7 from his own 4 yard line that kept the Bulldogs off the scoreboard. Lancaster's pass was batted in the air by David Gaines who appeared as if he would catch it and score. Kinsmon jumped up over Gaines and batted the ball down saving a sure touchdown.

Alabama A&M would finally get on the scoreboard with 9:50 left in the 2nd quarter when Jeremy Licea's 24 yard field goal was true.

ULM would answer right back when they moved the ball 53 yards on 6 plays and scored on an acrobatic 20 yard touchdown catch Anthony McCall. It would be McCall's third touchdown in two weeks.

Not intimidated, the Bulldogs would put together their most impressive drive of the night. Quarterback Kevin Atkins would take A&M 75 yards on just six plays going 5/5 on the drive. The bulldogs would score on a Ulysses Banks 3 yard touchdown run.

With 4:58 left until halftime, the Warhawks would go on a 10 play 82 yard drive and score their 3rd touchdown of the half on a Kinsmon Lancaster 22 yard touchdown run. Lancaster shocked everyone in the stadium including his coaches when he lowered his shoulder at the 2 yard line and ran over the Bulldog safety for the score. The drive was kept alive on a Gary Frazier 2 yard run on 4th and one from the A&M 24 yard line.

With just :32 second left in the half, the bulldogs didn't opt to run the clock out and for good reason. Catching ULM napping they connected on a 58 yard catch and run by bulldog receiver Thomas Harris. This would lead to a Jeremy Licea 21 yard field goal, making the halftime score 21-13 ULM.

The second half would be all ULM as the Warhawks defense really buckled down and shutout the Bulldog offense. ULM would put two touchdowns on the board in the 3rd quarter putting this game out of reach.

Darrell McNeal would take an inside receive screen and weave his way all the way in for the 25 yard touchdown making the score 28-13 ULM. On their very next possession, ULM running back Frank "The Tank" Goodin would burst through the offensive line and score from 21 yards out for the touchdown. Goodin missed all of last week recovering from minor knee surgery but looked full force tonight. Goodin carried the ball 4 times on the drive for 51 yards and the score. Frank finished the night with 17 carries for 114 yards becoming ULM's first 100 yard rusher of the season.

The teams traded safeties in the fourth quarter for the final score of 37-15. ULM's Theo Smith tackled Bulldog Ulysses Banks in the end zone for the score. Alabama A&M picked up a safety when a high snap to quarterback Kinsmon Lancaster sailed over his head and into the end zone. Lancaster punched the ball out of the end zone to avoid a would be touchdown only giving up 2pts.

The Warhawks finished the night with 455 yards of total offense with 244 of those yards coming from the running game.

ULM quarterback Kinsmon Lancaster again shined on the night completing 14/24 passes for 198 yards and 3 touchdowns with no turnovers. Lancaster also rushed for 81 yards on 9 carries and another score.

ULM's Darrell McNeal played his first full game of the season after being suspended the first 2 games and turned in a spectacular performance. McNeal caught 8 passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns.

True Freshman Luther Ambrose was second on the team with 2 catches for 33 yards and Carroll alum Antron Mason caught the first pass of his ULM career, 17 yards.

ULM was penalized 9 times for 90 yards but did not turn the ball over while forcing three turnovers against the Bulldogs.

The Warhawks (1-2) will travel to New Orleans next weekend to take on the Tulane Green wave in the Louisiana Superdome.

Warhawk Nation Top Stories