The University of Louisville basketball staff spent the week on the road for the first evaluation period of the summer and Cardinal Authority was also tracking the top U of L targets.
Here's five things we learned from the week:
1. Pitino wants a shooter, now: U of L head coach Rick Pitino spent two days on the recruiting trail and then went back to his Puerto Rican National team duties. Pitino made it clear he wants to add a shooter right now. He had a long talk with Maverick Rowan - per the kid - on Wednesday night before the Peach Jam and then watched 4 of Rowan's games. U of L had an assistant coach at every game for Rowan, who is expected to make a decision in the coming weeks and enroll next month at a school. He's down to U of L, St. John's, N.C. State and West Virginia. He's a big priority for Pitino.
2. Fox to the top of the list? Texas point guard De'Aaron Fox has moved to the top of the Cardinal Authority '16 big board for the Cardinals and has turned into a major, major 2016 target for the Cardinals. His game was really good all weekend at the Peach Jam and you could see the smile on Pitino's face - and other coaches - when he watched Fox.
3. The Cards need a guard: While there was some evaluation of big guys, the main focus has been on a guard for the next player in this class - especially if Rowan comes and there's just one more opening in '16. The staff watched Markelle Fultz in at least 5 games, saw Kameron McGusty, Fox, Rawle Alkins, Mustapha Heron, Bruce Brown and even saw new names - Kevin Huerter and Jonah Mathews - for the first time making sure they get a look at all of the top guards. The Cards want an elite guard in '16.
4. Looking forward a bit: With just one (potentially) scholarship in the Class of 2017, the staff has been a bit quieter than normal with only 7 offers heading into July. But they added an offer to Hinesville, Ga., 2017 guard Davion Mitchell on Monday. He played well in two games with Kenny Johnson watching at Peach Jam. The 6-foot-1 Mitchell added a half-dozen offers from the weekend and will be a focus of the U of L staff moving forward. He plays for the Georgia Stars. I don't anticipate many more offers by the staff.
5. Big guy back on the radar? I had lowered Dyke, Va., Blue Ridge power forward Mamadi Diakite on the big board but have now bumped him back up. The 6-foot-9 native of Guinea had a sensational game with Rick Pitino watching him on Thursday and might end up being the top bigger guy on the list for the Cardinals staff, if they take a big guy.