"We've improved a lot in one week," he said.
The Cardinals will have Sunday off from practice before returning on Monday morning.
- It was a 175-rep scrimmage, with an emphasis on the passing game. Bobby Petrino said afterward that he'd "need to watch the film" to know which quarterback had the best outing. He added that it's been a constant changing of which QB is having the best day.
- Petrino noted improvement along the offensive front, where the coaching staff continues to work varying combinations of players in search of the eventual first team group.
- Sophomore wide reciever Ja'Quay Savage, who suffered a minor injury during the first few days of practice, is back out with the team. He didn't participate in Saturday's scrimmage, but was running and doing other drills.
- Junior wide receiver Jamari Staples, who is also struggling with a minor injury, is expected back to practice early next week.
- Sophomore safety Chucky Williams has missed most of fall camp, but returned late this week and is back practicing.
- Junior tight end Keith Towbridge has been rehabbing from a toe injury that compares to setback that DeVante Parker experienced last season. Towbridge is excepted to return to full participation soon.
- No specific timetable for wide receiver Alphonso Carter. The sophomore continues to recover from a hamstring injury.
- Petrino continues to be impressed by the freshmen OL and gave them both "a lot of reps" during today's practice. As McGee indicated earlier in the week, it's looking more and more likely that the Cards will use the two rookies this season.
- Petrino really likes the play of Harvey-Clemons and Shaq Wiggins, but says the secondary continues to need to get better. Likes the talent there, just looking for more consistency.
- Petrino, along with the players, all complimentary of the defense, with Gardner saying, "we'll have a very good defense this year."